[Mill] Finally got my first mill now I need help identifying it

These are the collets , the one with the end mill Takes a 1/2 the end mill itself is 3/4
The other two are 3/8 and 3/4 no end mills no makers marks on them (yay)
7A8FEE35-7029-4C58-878C-D9749F0387CF.jpeg

Here is a link to jig borer description on wikipedia:

Might be useful to understand the differences between jig borers and milling machines. Basically, jig borers and mills have three major differences:
1) strong precision hole location finding- 1 micron precision, versus .001” inch for milling machines,
2) very limited sideways support for general purpose milling, and
3) very small table, with limited movement.

Iam not any kind of expert on Jig borers, but it does look like your machine definitely has the smaller table, fine micrometer movements of a jig borer.

Hopefully some one will recognize your collets and comment. Also, check out the Reed name plate that shows up in one of your photos. Might be a lead as to whom originally made some of the castings. reed- Prentice was an early day machine tool manufacturer. Might be a good place to start trying to identify the maker.

Tlenn

Thanks , as to the ways it’s hard to tell I believe side to side travel is about 15 inches
Back and forth is about 10 but those are just some rough measurements not super accurate with that said I understand that’s small but it’s also not bad for benchtop machines , to what you were saying with the micron vs .001 if I posted a pic of the threads under the ways would that better help to id the accuracy ? Or perhaps how many turns of a handle to distance travelled ?

And just so we’re clear that reed nameplate is on the vise , the machine was close to erie where those were made but perhaps if anyone knows other western PA or Eastern OH makers for the mill/jig borer perhaps we can chase this down

Alright cleaned up the dial on the x and it’s increments are in 10’s but the dial goes to 12 one revolution on three dial came to about 0.1 inches of travel

The Y dial is similar however it is marked in 10’s of thou and one revolution moves the table a tenth so with this info is it clear whether the table at least was designed for milling or boring ?

Interesting rig- I would investigate substituting automotive serpentine belts instead of those (leather?) ones for
better grip
-mark

This is interesting it appears the dove tail was cut and replaced lower , it’s truly frankenmill if not Still we’ll done
image.jpg

Back