Finally got myself a mill!

Now the expensive part, tooling.
Congradulations.

Somewhat general question:

I've noticed that during certain table moves, the feed rate will occasionally slow down for no apparent reason. Is this normal? I noticed this when playing with bolt hole patterns. The XY move will start its move from a hole location at one feed rate and then very quickly drops to a slower rate. The same exact bolt hole sequence can run again without this feed rate change. I am running a Do One Hole Pattern op so I wouldn't expect tool choice or other correcting items to factor in. That said: i have ZERO experience with this platform or CNC in general. I haven't adjusted any defaults or other persistent settings other than clearing out all pre-existing events. The operation still runs accurately.

I have only noticed it on XY moves when Y is positive (table moving towards column). I haven't tested more thoroughly yet. As I'm typing: i think running patterns with just X and Y moves (4 hole oriented at 45*) might be interesting.

Last edited:
Congrats on the "new" mill!
......and you got so many great options/accessories!
Wow.

-brino

Nice! There is an Alliant close to me for sale that I might go take a look at. Do you mind telling me what you paid for yours?

The mill is great, thanks for asking!! Been collecting some tooling when I find good buys on eBay. Not a lot of projects yet - at this point its awesome just to have the ability do decorate the garage with chips and cutting oil potpourri. I did post a few things in the POTD, but i'll added a couple here too.

I looked into the weird feed-rate change problem a couple months ago. Determined that it only occurs with Y-minus moves. I swapped servos and problem stayed with the Y-minus: so that ruled out servo/encoders and the signal lines from the servos. I couldn't find any suspect wires or pins, so just started "fixing" things and testing after each change. In the course of doing so I thought I found the issue: the ribbon cable in the DRO/head unit between the DB25 and the PCB. I re-seated on the PCB and the problem was gone. It came back 2 weeks later but now I know where to look more closely.

PXL_20210211_022355207.jpg

WC_SV650_Rearset.jpg

Last edited:
Back