Finally got pictures of my 9A

Machdaddy

Registered
Registered
Thanks for all the help I'v received on this forum so far, and I know how you folks like pictures so I thought I'd share some of mine. It was auctioned off by my employer so I got it for a steal! Obviously it's a 9A from about 1930. I think the gearbox is an earlier style but has enough choices for my needs. Came with a face plate, 3 and 4 jaw self centering chucks, 4 jaw independent , follower steady rest fixed steady rest(shop made), milling attachment, some collets in a rack and a bunch of "smalls". There is no provision for slacking the belt when idle or changing speeds but that isn't an insurmountable problem.
Questions?
Comments?
Opinions? Thanks for letting me show her off!

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

You are correct, though a bit understated, we LOVE pictures. Looks like you did very well with the extras. Thank you for taking the time to share. Got a lot of projects planned?

Nice old lathe, and well tooled up. Congrats, Mike

Project ideas include finishing the shop made taper attachment and then tackling a steam engine from castings. All the TA needs is a method for clamping to the ways.
I guess insulating and heating the garage is on the project list too as the weather gets warmer...

Thanks for all the help I'v received on this forum so far, and I know how you folks like pictures so I thought I'd share some of mine. It was auctioned off by my employer so I got it for a steal! Obviously it's a 9A from about 1930. I think the gearbox is an earlier style but has enough choices for my needs. Came with a face plate, 3 and 4 jaw self centering chucks, 4 jaw independent , follower steady rest fixed steady rest(shop made), milling attachment, some collets in a rack and a bunch of "smalls". There is no provision for slacking the belt when idle or changing speeds but that isn't an insurmountable problem.
Questions?
Comments?
Opinions? Thanks for letting me show her off!

I am not so sure it's a "9A", because those didn't really start to exist until 1938. Mine was sold on January 24, 1930, and is a "junior", often called a "heavy 9". One good way to check is to calculate the diametral pitch of your gears used to reverse the lead screw direction.min the kid 30's, south bend started using 18dp gears, but seemed to use 16dp gears prior to that. Some late 30's 9" lathes also had 18dp, but a different bore size. A 9A and a junior do not really have interchangeable parts, so if it IS a junior, you scored huge to get the tooling with it.

Maybe that explains why all the tooling appears to be shop made, center rest,taper attachment and milling attachment. After I get my garage insulated and heated this spring it should fit in nice.

Look at all those dogs and chucks, a steady rest!
It is worth much more than $650 with all the goodies. Check out the value of these items on eBay. (Intended for the op)

Back