Finally pulled the trigger: Ordered a PM932V/PDF

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Started looking at machines in late July... read and read and read and read...

After considering many machines, settled on the following:
PM1340GT lathe
PM932V/PDF Mill
And a year or so down the road, find a used Bridgeport and rebuild it.

Thought hard about getting a PM935TV now and let the Bridgie go... However having a smaller head style mill has its advantages.

Ordered the 932 today; Matt has one left... has my name on it now. I estimate it will take about a week to prep and get it to the freight lines. Then probably a week give or take to the burbs of Atlanta GA.

Looking forward to the first of two machines... I have lots to do, to get the shop ready.
Will do a "Receive, Un-crate, Move-in, Set-up, Clean, Chips" (RUMSCC; I guess that is pronounced rumse ????) additions to this thread as time goes forward.

The Mill will be a B-day present (Oct), and the lathe looks like a (late?) Christmas present.

Question for you folks who have a PM45/932: How much floor space should I plan for it? Probably want two estimates: The size it covers with the table in the middle, and how wide to allow for table movement. THX in advance for input!!!

GA

Congrats on the machines. When I originally placed my order that was the same combination that I ordered from Matt, PM1340GT and PM932PDF. It was about a month later when I changed from the 932PDF to the 935TV knee mill.

If memory serves when I was talking to Matt about the footprint of the 932PDF it was 36" depth by 68" width for full travel of the table in the x-axis.

THX Mike.

I really struggled with the 1236 vs 1340GT decision... then almost upgraded to a 935TV... However one really should stick to a budget... which I had already blown. The mill upgrade would have been an extra $4K+... just a little too much at this time.

I figure I can find a used Bridgie and rebuild it for something in that range or a bit more. Advantages to having a small and large mill.

For the short term, most of my work is gonna be Aluminum, so the beef and strength of a larger mill is not essential short term.

Started a thread for the mill... will post the "RUMSCC" (receive, un crate, move in, set up, clean, chips) as they happen.

Ya, I know about the budget. Blew the hell out of mine but my wonderful wife wanted me to be happy and I was only planning on purchasing equipment one last time. Glad I had my first one though, to learn on and to know what I wanted in the my next and last purchase.

Ya, I know about the budget. Blew the hell out of mine but my wonderful wife wanted me to be happy and I was only planning on purchasing equipment one last time. Glad I had my first one though, to learn on and to know what I wanted in the my next and last purchase.

That seems to be a common theme around here (blowing through the budget) :lmao:

Ga, Gyro don't forget to take pics of it all and confirm any shipping damage that could possibly occur. Mat is a real stand up guy and so is Ray C if it does have damage Matt will send out replacement parts the same day in next day mail...Plus Ray is on site a lot and you will probably forget the bridgy due to the excessive price even for machines that need a total rebuild and ways scraping. Just some thoughts that might help you if you get in a jamb, plus we are always here to try and answer your questions intelligently too.

Bob

Ga, Gyro don't forget to take pics of it all and confirm any shipping damage that could possibly occur. Mat is a real stand up guy and so is Ray C if it does have damage Matt will send out replacement parts the same day in next day mail...Plus Ray is on site a lot and you will probably forget the bridgy due to the excessive price even for machines that need a total rebuild and ways scraping. Just some thoughts that might help you if you get in a jamb, plus we are always here to try and answer your questions intelligently too.

Bob

THX for the input Bob... appreciate it!

The mill is going to one of my supply houses, has a back-up dock. The manager is gonna deliver it to my home with his truck and pallet jack... I will owe him and his sister dinner out (they run the supply house)... which IMO is a deal!!! :) Plan to inspect it at the supply house and re-crate for delivery to my home.

This will be the RUMSCC thread... so in a day or so, will post my ideas for a stand. Planning on something similar to the 'cradle' another owner did for their 935TV.

On the Bridgie... Probably will start studying them over the winter (time available)... and decide if that is a good road to travel. If not... there is always a 935 or 949... both are Taiwanese, both would be good machines.
Mike (Z motorsports) posted somewhere, he thought Matt said the 935 has the same head as the 949, with a smaller frame, knee, and of course footprint and weight. If I go that route... then it seems the question would be; how large a machine based on the size of work.
If the budget would have allowed it... I would be getting a 935 now... We all have to live within our budgets... :)

As to Matt and Ray... talked to both of them a bunch... good guys! Actually bought the machine through Ray, he has more phone time than Matt does.
(Sorry for the issues Ray has had to deal with lately... glad they have more help at the marina).
Ray talked to me for an extended time twice, he was very helpful! Ray is a 'hands on' guy, knows lots and is willing to share it.
(THX Ray, for the phone time).

The issue now is space for the machines... need to get that project done... :)

So where is the RUMSCC thread at? I even typed it in as a search and it comes up with your original post when you pulled the trigger.

zzzbob

THX for the input Bob... appreciate it!

The mill is going to one of my supply houses, has a back-up dock. The manager is gonna deliver it to my home with his truck and pallet jack... I will owe him and his sister dinner out (they run the supply house)... which IMO is a deal!!! :) Plan to inspect it at the supply house and re-crate for delivery to my home.

This will be the RUMSCC thread... so in a day or so, will post my ideas for a stand. Planning on something similar to the 'cradle' another owner did for their 935TV.

On the Bridgie... Probably will start studying them over the winter (time available)... and decide if that is a good road to travel. If not... there is always a 935 or 949... both are Taiwanese, both would be good machines.
Mike (Z motorsports) posted somewhere, he thought Matt said the 935 has the same head as the 949, with a smaller frame, knee, and of course footprint and weight. If I go that route... then it seems the question would be; how large a machine based on the size of work.
If the budget would have allowed it... I would be getting a 935 now... We all have to live within our budgets... :)

As to Matt and Ray... talked to both of them a bunch... good guys! Actually bought the machine through Ray, he has more phone time than Matt does.
(Sorry for the issues Ray has had to deal with lately... glad they have more help at the marina).
Ray talked to me for an extended time twice, he was very helpful! Ray is a 'hands on' guy, knows lots and is willing to share it.
(THX Ray, for the phone time).

The issue now is space for the machines... need to get that project done... :)

Sorry... guess that did not stick out.

Will add some stuff on the stand when I have time... I doubt the mill will be here until later next week or the following (Oct 16-17 or week of Oct 20).
Along in there, the weekends of Oct 17 and Oct 24 are aviation fly-in gatherings out/town... so my schedule is already crammed.
Hope I have the space ready... however building the stand is gonna take some time also.

THX for your interest... please comment any time you see something you have a thought on... :)
PS--Some years back, I helped moderate an HVAC/R forum... fun to do! :)

Finished the calls early today; spent a few hours working on the basement. Should have it ready for at least the mill... probably better the lathe is a ways down the road.

Here are some thoughts I had for a base/stand for the mill:
Go to this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/21032-Ordered-a-PM-935TV-This-Week
Scroll down to post #19. Note the box frame with a 'shoulder' or 'cradle' inside the box.
Now go to post #21, shows the finished base.
I am thinking to build something similar, using these castors:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/149511/WoodRiver-Machine-Leveling-Caster-Plate-Mounted-4-Pack.aspx
Under the base frame.
The goal is to be able to move the mill when I need to, however set feet solidly when it is in place.
The company has larger casters which will hold more weight.... still considering using the larger ones.
A guy at CNCzone used 4 of these under a CNC-ed RF45... worked fine.

If this works out... may build one for the lathe also.

Thoughts, ideas, questions, discussion???
All are welcome! Would rather think this out with some smart minds... than waste the time and $$$... and do it over.

THX

GA

Back