Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

How do you feel about 1/2 inch OSB with 1/4 hardy board over for grinding/welding area? Only problem is it comes in 3x5ft... Which doesn't seem to work well with 4x8 sheets for half a wall height. Other option might be sheet rock over 1/2... or just use the fire retardant paint over 3/4... decisions decisions.

Right now thinking 3/4 inch for most areas, unless 5/8 comes down significantly in price. If 5/8 were $20-25 i would go with it, but with 5/8 ag $31 and 3/4 at 34.50 a sheet, it seems like a no brainer to go with 3/4
The problem with half inch Ply/OSB is it has limited screw holding ability, though you could also glue the Hardy Board to the OSB with polyurethane construction adhesive.
Yeah at that price point ¾" is the way to go.
24 gauge galvanized sheet steel would make a great wall surface for a welding area. I haven't checked the prices lately but it used to be pretty reasonable.

The new glues don't gas off formaldehyde or acetic acid anymore. I can't detect any odor at all from them. I'm guessing they moved to partially-polymerized isocyanates now. The smooth side has a thicker seal coat to keep chips from lifting off and causing splinters. I hope that it lasts. Either way, there's hardly any sense in considering OSB with the current pricing compared to plywood.

It's just so dark.
Yeah its not as bad as it used to be but it still seems to smell on large installations, It may also depend on the brand.
The splinters are mainly at the edges particularly cut edges, sanding helps but it still gets ya sometimes...
You can successfully paint it with a coat of BIN primer and 2 top coats of a quality latex paint, use a ½" nap roller.

Hardiboard is amazingly fire resistant: I once set off thermite on a sheet. Didnt discolor the back!
I've used double layer hardiboard with insulation to keep diesel engine noise out of the offices.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You can successfully paint it with a coat of BIN primer and 2 top coats of a quality latex paint, use a ½" nap roller.
Thanks for the tip on the BIN primer. I'll give it a shot. A friend of mine used Kilz and ended up with a lot of particle peeling, and I don't want to repeat his mistake.

Yup, the alcohol based BIN doesn't swell the wood fibers like the water based Kilz will. You could also use Cover Stain or other oil based primer, but those take longer dry these days...

...24 gauge galvanized sheet steel would make a great wall surface for a welding area. I haven't checked the prices lately but it used to be pretty reasonable.
good luck finding 24 gauge now-days. They have 29 gauge 3'x8' at lowes for $30 a sheet... I think if I talk to the guys who built the barn they may be able to do better though.

If you put the plywood up first, I would clad it in sheetmetal, you don't need corrugated and you wouldn't have to worry about sparks fall down the channels and smoldering behind the metal unseen.

I haven't checked sheetmetal prices in a while, at least non commercial. But you may want to contact a steel supplier to see what they are selling their Galvanized 24ga sheets for. Aluminum might be a good option as well. The Galvanizing may add enough cost to make it a wash between the two. Plus the sheets generally come in 4 or 5 foot widths and lengths from 8-10 feet without special order. That would give you a nice smooth surface that is well protected in the hot work areas. You can also cut or have them cut special sizes to go behind a grinder or such where you would not need a complete sheet.

If you do contact a steel distributor, ask about blems and drops. This can save you a ton over there regular stock.

Nice work on the shop. Looking forward to the time when you are making metal chips again.

Back