Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

I used a D6 Cat to remove several hundred stumps. A couple of jabs with the 4 way blade angled down along the
tree to dislodge the roots and a push straight on usually does the job and on to the next tree...:)
I would love to have a D6.... and a excavator.... all the big boy toys. I have a Bobcat v519 telehandler. It does pretty well for my needs, but isn't in the same category as the heavy iron. Hmm. Almost seems like a bench top hobby mill vs Bridgeport theme from a parallel universe.

That's way too much explosive. My old buddies in New Mexico used a piece, like 1/2 of a stick of dynamite. First drill a hole with an auger for the stick to slip into. It goes at an angle under the center of the stump. Stick a blasting cap in the end, cautiously push it into the hole, and fill with dirt. If done correctly, it makes a thump, not a bang. The stump will heave up several inches and a lot of the dirt will get shaken off the roots. Then, it can be removed with a mattock, saw, and maybe axe. Having the roots all standing alone really helps, and the chainsaw blades last a lot longer. If the kids get hold of the dynamite, they do some dumb stuff, and it makes a lot of noise, but doesn't do any work. In California, you cannot buy dynamite without some kind of license. If you do this correctly, you can remove a stump 10 feet away from the house without doing any damage.

If you use 5 lbs. you have nothing to remove, everything is gone, just sawdust.
But as ArmyDoc says he's too close to his house so ANFO is out.

That's way too much explosive. My old buddies in New Mexico used a piece, like 1/2 of a stick of dynamite. First drill a hole with an auger for the stick to slip into. It goes at an angle under the center of the stump. Stick a blasting cap in the end, cautiously push it into the hole, and fill with dirt. If done correctly, it makes a thump, not a bang. The stump will heave up several inches and a lot of the dirt will get shaken off the roots. Then, it can be removed with a mattock, saw, and maybe axe. Having the roots all standing alone really helps, and the chainsaw blades last a lot longer. If the kids get hold of the dynamite, they do some dumb stuff, and it makes a lot of noise, but doesn't do any work. In California, you cannot buy dynamite without some kind of license. If you do this correctly, you can remove a stump 10 feet away from the house without doing any damage.
That sounds like more fun, but I found a way that worked for me... see below.

Last edited:
Posting with pictures didn't work too well from my phone. Sorry for the double post.

Back