Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

Well crap, flunked another math test. Your Number $327 seems right. When I poured mine, concrete was running around $200 a yard. That was maybe six years ago. Mike

Well crap, flunked another math test. Your Number $327 seems right. When I poured mine, concrete was running around $200 a yard. That was maybe six years ago. Mike
I am just making an assumption that ArmyDoc's comment to cost included total cost (material, labor, etc). Basically from flat ground to complete pad.

I have been trying to estimate this cost for my future shop. Based on my research, seems as though the cost ranges from $5-$10 per square foot, assuming a 6" thick pad. For my estimate I picked a middle of the road $7.50 per square foot. I hope that I will be high in my estimate but only time will tell.

When I poured mine, concrete was running around $200 a yard. That was maybe six years ago. Mike
It was $143 a yard for 4000 psi mix when I did my shop floor last year.

Anything building related seems to be quite a bit higher up here in tourista heaven. It was great when I was getting paid for it when I was in business, but not so much now that I have to pay for it. I know when I was back in the mid-west a few years ago, I was amazed how much cheaper things were. Price of living in paradise I guess. Mike

Does the $143 include forms, rebar, vapor barrier, labor, etc? This is where the values by cubic yard may vary. Assuming that ArmyDocs cost was complete for the entire job, would drive the cost by cubic yard up by a factor of 2 at least.

No the 143 was concrete cost per yard only. Materials and labor were additional costs.

So, it's hurry up and wait again. Slab poured monday, and was told they would start construction first week of June. Now they say they are still waiting on purlins, and it won't be till the first week of July. :bang head:

I don't have the exact cost in front of me (it was one price for 4 inches, but I asked them to upgrade to 6 inches), but I think it was about 18k and some change total for the concrete pour, including labor etc. They did fiber reinforced, not rebar (except in the footers had some rebar I think).

Plan is for red iron frame building, R 14(13?) walls and R30 ceiling insulation. Did not have them do interior lining/walls. I wish now that I had. With cost of lumbar and steel increases, if I had ordered interior steel cladding at the original prices I would have saved approximately one metric crap ton of money...

Last edited:
This seems to be the new norm these days. I am hoping that we will see some relief by mid next year when my project will start. Since mine will include the foundation for the house and the shop, I am hoping that I can work a good deal with them. Haven't decided on the shop framing configuration yet. I was leaning towards the Red Iron. Originally, like you and many other here, had planned on plywood interior up to 8 foot height. But unless things change dramatically by the time I have to place the order, I will be looking into the shop builder to provide the interior lining like you described.

That is sure a real nice setting for your shop you have there. Are you planning on having windows? While I like the light and the ability to see outside, the windows give me security concerns.

No, there won't be windows. In addition to security concerns, it is an added expense I don't need, and negatively effects insulation properties. I thought about it for the wall where the office will be, but ultimately decided against it.

Back