find replacement LED for Craftsman Drill Press Work Light

j ferguson

Active User
Registered
The recent Craftsman 12 inch drill press has a laser aiming setup the better to align work-piece with drill and a very mice work light. Alas, the LED on the worklight has failed, and Sears/Craftsman no longer offer parts specific to this light, nor the entire light assembly. the LED itself is very bright, is mounted integrallly on what looks like ceramic and then the octagonal pcb board. The back of the PCB board is "bonded" to the aluminum support with thermal paste similar to that used to transfer heat from CPU's to the cooling setup in PC's.

My guess is that the LED and PCB are sold as a unit, but obviously I could deal with a separate LED/Ceramic platform and make the replacement repair at that level.
I've googled away looking for something like this and done through pages and pages of LED's to mo avail.

Does anyone here have any idea where I should look for something like this?

John

drill-press-worklight-led.jpg

The recent Craftsman 12 inch drill press has a laser aiming setup the better to align work-piece with drill and a very mice work light. Alas, the LED on the worklight has failed, and Sears/Craftsman no longer offer parts specific to this light, nor the entire light assembly. the LED itself is very bright, is mounted integrallly on what looks like ceramic and then the octagonal pcb board. The back of the PCB board is "bonded" to the aluminum support with thermal paste similar to that used to transfer heat from CPU's to the cooling setup in PC's.

My guess is that the LED and PCB are sold as a unit, but obviously I could deal with a separate LED/Ceramic platform and make the replacement repair at that level.
I've googled away looking for something like this and done through pages and pages of LED's to mo avail.

Does anyone here have any idea where I should look for something like this?

John
The PCB is actually a metal substrate pbc with the copper circuit traces bonded a thin insulating layer which is bonded to an aluminum base. The star configurations are actually very common and come in a variety of LED configurations. What is needed is the voltage and current being supplied to the LED. It appears that you have a single LED die so the voltage under load is most likely 3 to 3.5 volts. There also doesn't appear to be on board current limiting which means it would be provided by the external driver circuitry.

LED Supply has a good assortment of star configuration LED modules. https://www.ledsupply.com/cree-leds PM me if you have any questions.

HI RJ,
You've given me a good head start. The power supply for this light also powers the laser alignment system. It shows 5 volt output on the feed to this LED. I need to look at what i can get for a replacement and then get back to you for a discussion of which way to go.

Thanks much for helping me with this.

best regards, John

Hi RJ,
I bought a new LED assembly from the source you provided, LED Supply. It was economical and shipping was swift and included. It has now replaced the original, and works fine. LED Supply seems like a very good outfit.
best regards,
john

Hi John- which model did you buy? Did you get a good match to the original light color (cool vs warm) ?
Mark

Hi,
I bought their Cree Xlamp XM-L2 for $6.99 including usps first class. it has a 6500 Kelvin color temperature. I have no idea what the original lamp had, but this is plenty good for what I do.

LED Supply's service was so good, I'm thinking of scouring their website to see if they have anything else I could use. If I'd had any brains, I would have bought two, although then I'd have to remember what i did with it when this one burns out in 5 or 6 years - assuming it does.

Hi,
I bought their Cree Xlamp XM-L2 for $6.99 including usps first class. it has a 6500 Kelvin color temperature. I have no idea what the original lamp had, but this is plenty good for what I do.

LED Supply's service was so good, I'm thinking of scouring their website to see if they have anything else I could use. If I'd had any brains, I would have bought two, although then I'd have to remember what i did with it when this one burns out in 5 or 6 years - assuming it does.
How did you get it apart?

Back