Finding Center Hole?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys lets say I have a 3/8 hole that I need to line up with chuck on mill.Only way I know how to get the hole lined up with my drill chuck on mill is to use a Pin Gage keep moving X&Y till the pin fits.I search Youtube but really did not find what I was looking for probably due to I did not know what to call this problem.But my question is I have a edge finder that comes to a point,is this edge finder for these purpose to find centers?Any Youtubes out there that could explain how to find centers?Edge Finder.jpg

Can you put a dial test indicator in your mill chuck such that the stylus points down and touches the inside of your hole? Then slowly rotate your mill chuck by hand and adjust your table until the test indicator reads the same all the way through one rotation. The hole should now be centered under the chuck and in line with the spindle axis.

There is a ready-made device that does the same thing but clamps on to the outside of the mill chuck. "Indicol" is one name, there are others.

-frank

Winegrower that is on my wish list,I did try indicator that mounts on fixture then on quill but I gave up wrestling with it.Needvwatch some YouTube’s on how to use it.Thanks for link to YouTube that helps out lot

Coax indicators are the best tool for the job, the brand name is expensive, but there are knock offs available cheaper.

Another tool for this is commonly called a "wiggler".

Here's one youtube video I found by searching "milling machine wiggler":

There are several to choose from......

-brino

Last edited:
Don't need no stinking co-ax indicator! Gone are the days using a regular DTI mounted in the spindle & having to turn your head to read the indicator facing away from you or use a mirror! :D

THE VYNDICATOR
hero.jpg

But yeah, I usually use a co-ax indicator. :big grin:

.........Any Youtubes out there that could explain how to find centers?
18:48 for the cone ended edge finder and 25:35 for the coaxial indicator.

Also, go to youtube and search for "edge finder". Bring a lunch. ;)

Tom

Back