Finding center of 3/4 rod

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok tell me if I'm thinking correctly say I want to find quick center on a say 3/4 small rod. if I put that rod in a 5c collet block shouldn't I then just be able to find the center of the block thus putting me on the center of the rod or pretty close. I know this all depends how accurate the collet and block are but am I thinking correctly or am I off ???? I just need to drill a cross hole a bolt will go in to hold a rod in a plasma cutter circle cutter so it doesn't need to be NASA accurate lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure the part diameter, if it is .735 edge find it and move 1/2 this diameter, done deal.

You could certainly do it that way, but I’m curious why you would do that instead of just finding the center of the rod? Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems that one would be just as quick as the other.

Tom

I'd clamp a V-block in my mill vise and visually locate the center with a center drill.
Clamp your rod in the V-block and make a dimple or starter hole with the center dril.
Then chuck your chosen drill bit and drill the hole.

You could certainly do it that way, but I’m curious why you would do that instead of just finding the center of the rod? Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems that one would be just as quick as the other.

Tom
This is how you find the center, 1/2 the diameter from the OD, when finding center of a part held in a collet block in a mill find the center of the part rather then the center of the tool holding device thus reducing any errors in the part holding.

Unlike the end there is no one center on the side of a cylinder. Every spot for 360 degrees around it has the potential to be the center. Since tolerances aren't too tight I think I would proceed by:

1. Bluing the side and the end of the rod
2. clamping it down
3. Using a 3/8" block, scribe the end and the side
4. clamp it in a vee block using the scribed line on the end to ensure that it is perpendicular to the spindle
5. mark the hole's location with a center punch
6. make your hole

Scribe three chords. Divide the length of each chord in half and using a square scribe lines. Where they intersect is the centre.

^ All that just to find the center of a rod? ^ I just use an edge finder on the side of the rod and move over half dia.

I guess I should have read the post properly. I Thought the o.p. Was referring to the face of the rod. Ya I agree I d just touch off and move half plus half the diameter over since Nasa wasn t waiting.

Back