Finding or making 15 foot long acme threaded rods ...

LOL boy you have to be pretty clueless (and drunk) not to figure that one out
Mark
A majority of people spend their lives working in industries that have no E-Stop devices because they are not needed in most offices.

As beneficial as it may be sales people have none either, this is an egregious oversight.

Also a 180" X 1" diameter acme lead screw would develop a good deal of twist at the far end when rotated under load, a ball screw would be a far better choice for such an application, nearly zero friction.

Another thing to consider is the shaft whipping. It can be calculated, Im guessing 15 feet of 3/4 or 1 inch shaft would have a pretty low speed.

Greg

Many small elevator systems use a hydraulic cylinder and cables, the cylinder can be a fraction the travel required using the cables around pulleys to multiply the travel and achieve the desired lift. There are several safety devices that can be employed ratchet paws or centrifugally actuated brakes. Steel cable is very strong and very safe if used correctly.

I’d go with wrecks line of thought. Sounds like he’s been around this.
Thanks ron

Reactions: rwm
Arvidj
This elevator is just for moving material only, correct?

I've always liked the 'Alimak' type hoists for a simple design - some guide rails and a vertical rack gear as long as you need attached to the wall, with a motor and a pinion gear attached to the platform and a trailing cable. Normally I think the pinion gear is driven by a worm wheel gear motor so it wont roll back or fall if the power is lost - you actually need to drive the motor in reverse to bring it down so it is intrinsically safe.

Something like this but on a domestic scale.

1513665015102.png

Back