Finding work as a machinist, is a second career possible?

oldschoolcane

Registered
Registered
I have spent the last 35 years of my working life in sales and marketing, but my career options as a 59 year old appear to be very limited? I am not currently working and I need some help figuring out what my options would be in a different job. I spent a few years as a welder after highschool, went to trade school for that and I am wondering if getting some training as a machinist would make sense at my age? Anyone have some advice or thoughts? I ve always had a strong interest in having a hands on machinist job and maybe now this makes sense?
Thanks,

Tim

A lot depends on the job market in your area, If there are a lot of open jobs looking for machinists then it may make sense to make the jump. If you area has a lot of unemployed machinists looking for work, you having no experience will have a hard time getting in somewhere.

I don't work in the trade, so grain of salt and all that...

Going pro from hobby can be good and bad. I like programming, but do my own stuff a lot less since I started working in the field. On the other hand, I generally don't mind going to work. So like everything, it's a tradeoff. Just something to think about if your hobby is machining. You might want to have another idea for an outlet as you might be less interested in making chips after work.

As for age, consider how willing you are to learn new things and take a pay cut to start a new career. You're the only one who can answer that.

Are you good with computers? Professional machining seems to involve a LOT of CNC work these days. Being able to break things down into logical steps and tell the computer how to do it is the essence of programming, and CNC work is in many cases programming. It's getting better in programming, but ageism is still a thing there, much as I dislike it. I'm not sure if that translates to the CNC world or not, something to be aware of though.

I'm not sure what the outlook is for job prospects. It seems like this sort of thing has largely moved overseas, but I know the current government is trying to bring some of that back. And your local area makes a big difference. If you can find a local shop or two willing to chat with you, you might be able to get better information for the local job market.

Welding might be a better option since you at least have some experience with welding. Take a welding course at the local junior college/trade school to brush up and go from there. If the teachers like you they may have an inside track to a welding job. Like any job it is often who you know rather than what you know that get's you the job.

There is a definitely a shortage of trades people. Sounds like a good idea to me. Most shops are wanting journeymen but the way things are I’m sure most are willing to train.
I am in the cabinet trade and finding qualified people is hard.
Good luck
Cheers
Martin

If you've spent thirty years in sales and marketing, you'll have gotten high enough on the salary scale to be sorely disappointed by what entry lever machinists make.

Having said that, once I retired from sales and marketing, I've been working a couple of days a week in an engine machine shop. I work incredibly hard, get absolutely filthy and love it. Not having to go in unless I want to makes all the difference.

Are you physically fit and can work on your feet outdoors all day? If so, a couple of years in a community college trade school would get you into electrician or plumbing or carpentry trades. The demand currently exceeds the supply and the pay is decent and goes up fast.

jack vines

Learn the trades I’m in HVAC and the money is great can be over $150k a year after 5 years. The work is very technical if you are on the service side, you have to be good at mechanical work, electrical work, refrigeration, and now computer knowledge helps. The work is fun and you spend a lot of time on roofs usually by yourself which for me was great. Now that I’m out of the field and I’m management I look for excuses to go out and help solve problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim is out of work and needs a job. Sooner the better most likely. So taking on a couple year course of study/training probably won't work for him.

There is money to be made in any of the construction trades. Demand for workers exceeds the supply right now.

If think that the best advise is to get out there and talk to people.

We have been hiring people with no experience if they have the ability to learn. Lots of companies are looking for people right now and they will pay you to learn.

We have been hiring people with no experience if they have the ability to learn. Lots of companies are looking for people right now and they will pay you to learn.

Companies are desperate for smart people willing to work hard, come to work every day and strive to do a good job for the company. If you are willing to say yes to those qualifications, there are plenty of jobs in the trades.
We sure struggle finding a few good men/women.

Back