Finding work as a machinist, is a second career possible?

Your age may work against you. I am not an employer now, but when I was, I wouldn’t have wanted to train someone who was going to retire in a few years. Training you means you cost your employer money, you don’t get much done, make mistakes when you do, and usually suck up time from your trainers so they get less done too. But the idea is that when you become proficient in a couple of years you will make them money for some period of time. You are cutting it awfully close on that calculation. The less training time to achieve proficiency, in your case, the better. Sorry, that’s my $0.02.

That said, the suggestion to find a shop owner getting ready to retire might be the best fit, IF you commit to buying the business at some point. Then there would be something in it for the employer.

I'll tell my story because I was in your shoes and I really feel your pain and maybe my experience will help you to make a right decision.
In 2003 I was 53 years old and I was laid off from telecom. The only people who were interested in me were telecom people. And there wasn't that many of them. There wasn't any entry level machinist jobs that were advertised and I didn't know anyone in that field. So, when my unemployment expired, I took the entry level telecom job with a 150 miles round trip commute. This bought me some time till something better came along.

I think that your best bet is to stay in your field where you have a proven track record. There maybe slim pickings right now, but you will be speaking to your equals and know what to say to them.

At your age, spending thousands of dollars for training doesn't make sense. All these technical jobs suggested to you will require you to spend all your day on your feet. HVAC, electrical, plumbing jobs are for younger people, who can spend hours in hot attics and crawl spaces and produce what their employers expect from them.
I had a recruiter who was after me for a few years, until he found out that I was more than 50 years old, then I never heard from him again.

I wish you all the best. Please let us know how things worked out for you

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. Your help and advice is appreciated, I am going to consider the reality of all this and try to reach some conclusions. A lot to consider.

Because of your age and background I'm going to suggest a different course of action. Stay in sales. Auto sales is a lucrative job, pretty easy to get into the high 5 figure to low 6 figure range. The only requirement generally is that you be breathing when you walk in the door. Right now RV sales is going crazy, sales are up about 300% this year over last.

Last edited:
I work for a small privately-owned electronics manufacturing company. We have a model shop with an excellent machinist who is just amazing in what he can do. What we pay him is pitiful. Look for a different profession. Machining is a great hobby. Period.

I'll tell my story because I was in your shoes and I really feel your pain and maybe my experience will help you to make a right decision.
In 2003 I was 53 years old and I was laid off from telecom. The only people who were interested in me were telecom people. And there wasn't that many of them. There wasn't any entry level machinist jobs that were advertised and I didn't know anyone in that field. So, when my unemployment expired, I took the entry level telecom job with a 150 miles round trip commute. This bought me some time till something better came along.

I think that your best bet is to stay in your field where you have a proven track record. There maybe slim pickings right now, but you will be speaking to your equals and know what to say to them.

At your age, spending thousands of dollars for training doesn't make sense. All these technical jobs suggested to you will require you to spend all your day on your feet. HVAC, electrical, plumbing jobs are for younger people, who can spend hours in hot attics and crawl spaces and produce what their employers expect from them.
I had a recruiter who was after me for a few years, until he found out that I was more than 50 years old, then I never heard from him again.

I wish you all the best. Please let us know how things worked out for you

Thank you, Tech610. I really appreciate you sharing your experience.
My field which was business advertising has changed so drastically. Due to the smart phone, social media and google among other things. So, I am left to figure this out at some point.

Unless you already have the skills needed to work as a machinist I think you'll be better off learning all the digital tools for your current career. I know how tough it can be trying to find work when you're in your 50's but you have a much better chance doing something you have a proven track record in. I'm 54 and I just had an interview this morning, trying for a better (more stable) job, my experience and education is probably the only reason they would consider me at all.

Sales is one of those fields where results are about the only thing that matters. If you want to stick with advertising then start learning about Google and put your Rolodex into your smart phone. Chances are some of your past clients are just as confused as you are and would rather pay you to figure it out for them. If you want to stick with working under someone else's roof then furniture, auto or RV sales should offer a low barrier of entry, you just need to produce....

Most of the guys I talk to with machine shops wouldn't recommend it as a way to make money and starting out as a parts changer at 60-years-old sounds grueling to me....

JMHO,

John

Parts changing is also one of those fields where results are about the only thing that matters. I don't care if the chili dog platter you ate for lunch is threatening to use the escape hatch, you've got to load the next cycle and push the green button.

Back