Fine detail work on a CNC Bridgeport

Defender92

Registered
Registered
Sorry if this is a really dumb question. I can’t seem to find answers.

I plan on buying (in the not so far future) a Bridgeport already set up for CNC or buying a Bridgeport and retrofitting it to CNC.

Many of the projects I would like to do are very small detailed pieces. Can a CNC Bridgeport do this?? See example photos below. Or are there better options?

I currently have a Clausing 8520 but I doubt it would be easy sourcing a retrofit kit. I also want the Bridgeport for the R8 options and rigidity. And I will also use it for bigger projects. I won’t have room for both.

3ABC991D-7632-4E8D-978C-5DB4103FD661.jpeg
1BBD2A97-83A7-43DB-9C55-D93AFA50A4AC.jpeg
CCFBF34E-8773-4454-95FD-516731236A1C.jpeg

I am sure others will chip in (see what I did there :)). For engraving, you need high RPMs. possibly up to 30K. The diameter of the cutting bit is so small that it takes a very high RPM to get a proper SFM. I did do some simple engraving on some brass with a 3K RPM spindle. It was very slow going and I think I broke at least one bit. As for accuracy, I suspect that anything that can hold 0.001" can do what you shared above from an accuracy point of view.

I am sure others will chip in (see what I did there :)). For engraving, you need high RPMs. possibly up to 30K. The diameter of the cutting bit is so small that it takes a very high RPM to get a proper SFM. I did do some simple engraving on some brass with a 3K RPM spindle. It was very slow going and I think I broke at least one bit. As for accuracy, I suspect that anything that can hold 0.001" can do what you shared above from an accuracy point of view.
That makes sense and I didn’t think about that. So it doesn’t look like a Bridgeport will be a good choice for my ideas.

It's possible to get a high speed engraving head that chucks up into the spindle of your existing mill or otherwise attaches to it. I believe Tormach makes one for their machines, as an example.

start shopping for a high speed spindle to mount to your CNC mill.

Back