[4]

Fine Measurement, Circa 1978

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

n3480h

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Before I retired the company gave me a well used 20th Edition of Machinery's Handbook. I use it to this day. The original owner has noted on page 2440 that a Smidge is .060", and a Skosh is .030". Nowhere else have I been able to locate this kind of precise solution to these old quandaries. :eagerness:

Tom

francist

Active User
I love stuff like that, and that really is the type of information that gets put away and lost over the ages. Every now and again at work I take great enjoyment in using terms like "scantling" and watch people's brows knit.

Thanks for sharing that little "tidbit".

-frank

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Ahhhhh Ha..............so TWO Skoshes per Smidge......... I knew it!

I had an argument with a guy in the mechanical department just last week about this.
But, now I have an irrefutable internet reference to show him.

Thanks Tom!

-brino

maker of things

Hermit
Boy, that's going to be rough converting to metric. Sounds like a skosh is a "hair" under a mm?:rolleyes:

wawoodman

himself, himself
Ahhhhh Ha..............so TWO Skoshes per Smidge......... I knew it!

I had an argument with a guy in the mechanical department just last week about this.
But, now I have an irrefutable internet reference to show him.

Thanks Tom!

-brino
And if it's on the internet, it has to be true!:blues:

astjp2

Active User
Registered
I love the term, half a bubble, on my level that is .0002"

wawoodman

himself, himself
I use "half a kerf" quite a bit when fitting trim. When I taught guitar building, we used "half a sixteenth."

chevydyl

Active User
Registered
Lol rch, you measured didn't you hahaha

fixit

Active User
Information overload this morning

chevydyl

Active User
Registered
Lol

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
C'mon guys, this is a family site.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Before I retired the company gave me a well used 20th Edition of Machinery's Handbook. I use it to this day. The original owner has noted on page 2440 that a Smidge is .060", and a Skosh is .030". Nowhere else have I been able to locate this kind of precise solution to these old quandaries. :eagerness:

Tom
You got my curiosity up. Dug up my 20th edition Machinery's Handbook-First printing 1975, out of my tool box, thumbed to page 2440, the last page in the book before the index. Nowhere on that page does it say anything about a "Smidge" or "Skosh". Maybe they added it to the second or third printing?

n3480h

Active User
You got my curiosity up. Dug up my 20th edition Machinery's Handbook-First printing 1975, out of my tool box, thumbed to page 2440, the last page in the book before the index. Nowhere on that page does it say anything about a "Smidge" or "Skosh". Maybe they added it to the second or third printing?
Ha! Ken, I must have the "Deluxe Limited Edition". :grin: My book was originally owned by the man who started the company many years ago. One of the finest individuals I have ever known, and with a great sense of humor.

Tom

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Just ask anyone over 65 !

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Ha! Ken, I must have the "Deluxe Limited Edition". :grin: My book was originally owned by the man who started the company many years ago. One of the finest individuals I have ever known, and with a great sense of humor.

Tom
My 20th edition came direct from the publisher. Bought it while I was still in high school! They didn't have a "Deluxe Limited Edition" back then, or I would have bought it!
Can you post a scan of the page?

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

T Bredehoft

Active User
I can't remember my 65th birthday. Logic tells me it was 1.2 decades ago.

[Edit] correct stupid math error

Last edited:

n3480h

Active User
My 20th edition came direct from the publisher. Bought it while I was still in high school! They didn't have a "Deluxe Limited Edition" back then, or I would have bought it!
Can you post a scan of the page?
Oh my. Ken, I may have been unclear. "Deluxe Limited Edition" was tongue-in-cheek, there was no such edition that I am aware of. The original owner of the book simply wrote the Skosh and Smidge definitions on that page with a pen, also no doubt tongue-in-cheek. I think it made him chuckle later on when he ran across it. It certainly brightened my day when I ran across it years later. I have no scanner, or I would certainly post a pic.

Perhaps we need a sub group for Tongue-In-Cheek Wise Guys, a better place for my original post. My apologies, I just can't be serious very often after so many years of . . . seriousness. Perspicuity, not obfuscation. See? There I go again.o_O

Tom

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Tom,

It's all good. No hard feelings. I get serious at times and don't read between the lines on what is being said. That is kinda of neat adding your own definitions to the "book".
I may just do that to mine for someone else later on, to read.

Thanks for sharing,

Ken

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
I use "half a kerf" quite a bit when fitting trim. When I taught guitar building, we used "half a sixteenth."
When my father was on the roof he'd holler to me (with saw) "right of the line"
"left of the line" "center of the line". ........BLJHB

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
A pinch is about 1/4 teaspoon and so is a smidge. A dollop is about a heaping Tablespoon.
A skosh is two smidges. A smidge is four pinches or a Tad or a Jig.
A Tad is1/8th teaspoon. A Jig can be big or little...

[6]
[5] [7]