Fine Measurement, Circa 1978

Before I retired the company gave me a well used 20th Edition of Machinery's Handbook. I use it to this day. The original owner has noted on page 2440 that a Smidge is .060", and a Skosh is .030". Nowhere else have I been able to locate this kind of precise solution to these old quandaries. :eagerness:

Tom

You got my curiosity up. Dug up my 20th edition Machinery's Handbook-First printing 1975, out of my tool box, thumbed to page 2440, the last page in the book before the index. Nowhere on that page does it say anything about a "Smidge" or "Skosh". Maybe they added it to the second or third printing?

You got my curiosity up. Dug up my 20th edition Machinery's Handbook-First printing 1975, out of my tool box, thumbed to page 2440, the last page in the book before the index. Nowhere on that page does it say anything about a "Smidge" or "Skosh". Maybe they added it to the second or third printing?

Ha! Ken, I must have the "Deluxe Limited Edition". :grin: My book was originally owned by the man who started the company many years ago. One of the finest individuals I have ever known, and with a great sense of humor.

Tom

Ha! Ken, I must have the "Deluxe Limited Edition". :grin: My book was originally owned by the man who started the company many years ago. One of the finest individuals I have ever known, and with a great sense of humor.

Tom

My 20th edition came direct from the publisher. Bought it while I was still in high school! They didn't have a "Deluxe Limited Edition" back then, or I would have bought it!
Can you post a scan of the page?

I can't remember my 65th birthday. Logic tells me it was 1.2 decades ago.

[Edit] correct stupid math error

Last edited:
My 20th edition came direct from the publisher. Bought it while I was still in high school! They didn't have a "Deluxe Limited Edition" back then, or I would have bought it!
Can you post a scan of the page?

Oh my. Ken, I may have been unclear. "Deluxe Limited Edition" was tongue-in-cheek, there was no such edition that I am aware of. The original owner of the book simply wrote the Skosh and Smidge definitions on that page with a pen, also no doubt tongue-in-cheek. I think it made him chuckle later on when he ran across it. It certainly brightened my day when I ran across it years later. I have no scanner, or I would certainly post a pic.

Perhaps we need a sub group for Tongue-In-Cheek Wise Guys, a better place for my original post. My apologies, I just can't be serious very often after so many years of . . . seriousness. Perspicuity, not obfuscation. See? There I go again.o_O

Tom

Tom,

It's all good. No hard feelings. I get serious at times and don't read between the lines on what is being said. That is kinda of neat adding your own definitions to the "book".
I may just do that to mine for someone else later on, to read.

Thanks for sharing,

Ken

Back