• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

finger vs flap wheel

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

umahunter

Active User
Well Thursday I was grinding something with the flap wheel on a 4.5 grinder. turned off grinder and set on table wheel up preceeded to reach for something like a dumb ass hit my finger tip on the wheel and stopped it. 20170304_205039.jpg 20170304_205023.jpg split my finger tip and half way up my nail got it cleaned up trimmed off half my nail and went back to work. was cleaning it today and couldn't get this black spot off so I started cutting the nail back more and hit something I thought was black melted fingernail got ahold of it with clippers and proceeded to pull out a 1 inch piece of the plastic wheel backing from under my nail bleed like a champ but my finger now feels much better lol :) :) :)

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Ouch, I would hop it feels better. That would have been a bad thing after a more days. It grows back but will take a while to be fully attached in that spot. (don't ask)

wawoodman

himself, himself
Reminds me of an accident I had back in college, working a night shift in a seed corn plant. Got my thumb involved with the feed wheel on a bag sewing machine. Took the entire nail right off. Doctor said he couldn't have done a better job in surgery. (Of course, he would have used some anesthesia...)

Took quite some time to grow back.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
those stories send shivers down my spine :eek:

i once has a spinning 8" wire wheel send a quill directly into the septum of my nose, about 1/4" deep :cry::cry::cry:
i had to self extract, it was buried deep in cartilage

needless to say, full face shield when using wire wheels!

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Ouch, Ouch, and Ouch. :D
Mark S.

Reeltor

Active User
Yep, sends shivers down my spine too. While I hate that you had this mishap, thank you for posting about it.

AGCB97

A few months ago I had a flap disk disintegrate on one side which sent a bunch of those black pieces you mentioned into my palm

Strangerthings169b1

Yep, sends shivers down my spine too. While I hate that you had this mishap, thank you for posting about it.
I think the reason stories like this sends shivers down the ol spinal column is we all have stories like this. Heck, right now I have a nail on my right hand that is just now looking somewhat normal after I used it to cushion a 36 inch crescent wrench from a cast iron housing a while ago.

wawoodman

himself, himself
Right. We certainly don't want to damage those cast iron housings.

kvt

Active User
One thing is often they will find a way around protective equipment. Just this week, Had on leather apron, was using the 4.5 angle with a wire brush to clean up some parts, felt something but though noting of it. Later that night I went to do something an kept feeling like something was poking me. Figured that I got a sliver in my shirt some how and it was poking me. Finally pulled my shirt off and there was about 1/4 inch of a metal wire sticking out on my stomach. Pulled an 1 inch long bristle out. Ouch, Why did I not feel that go in.

FOMOGO

Active User
All about velocity, At the doctors office the needle that never hurts is always inserted by ninja disguised as a pretty nurse. Mike

bfd

Staff member
those shivers are a good thing don't ignore them when you do it will be you sending shivers down other peoples spines when you write your story bill

Groundhog

If you lose the nail get a small tattoo on the nail bed. When the nail grows back you'll have a tat like no one else! (I would do it but I can't stand pain!) :crush:

jim18655

Active User
A smashed fingernail, or a bad toothache, are two things that you can't realize or describe the pain unless you've had one of them.

British Steel

Active User
Jim, add to that "Ah, just the right size gap for the surface plate - but not the fingers holding it..."

Dave H. (the other one)

scwhite

i once has a spinning 8" wire wheel send a quill directly into the septum of my nose, about 1/4" deep :cry::cry::cry:

Yes

aliva

Active User
Look on the bright side, you'll never do that again, next time you use that flap wheel your neurons will remind you of this incident.
Now if you do this a second time, well lets just say " Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result "

British Steel

Active User

And ideally a 1/4" steel breastplate....

It's a bit like trying to bath a cat, really.

Dave H. (the other one)

Blackjackjacques

butt puckered up tight after that pic...... eeeewwwwwww!

[6]
[5] [7]