finger vs flap wheel

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well Thursday I was grinding something with the flap wheel on a 4.5 grinder. turned off grinder and set on table wheel up preceeded to reach for something like a dumb ass hit my finger tip on the wheel and stopped it.20170304_205039.jpg 20170304_205023.jpg split my finger tip and half way up my nail got it cleaned up trimmed off half my nail and went back to work. was cleaning it today and couldn't get this black spot off so I started cutting the nail back more and hit something I thought was black melted fingernail got ahold of it with clippers and proceeded to pull out a 1 inch piece of the plastic wheel backing from under my nail bleed like a champ but my finger now feels much better lol :) :) :)

Ouch, I would hop it feels better. That would have been a bad thing after a more days. It grows back but will take a while to be fully attached in that spot. (don't ask)

Reminds me of an accident I had back in college, working a night shift in a seed corn plant. Got my thumb involved with the feed wheel on a bag sewing machine. Took the entire nail right off. Doctor said he couldn't have done a better job in surgery. (Of course, he would have used some anesthesia...)

Took quite some time to grow back.

those stories send shivers down my spine :eek:

i once has a spinning 8" wire wheel send a quill directly into the septum of my nose, about 1/4" deep :cry::cry::cry:
i had to self extract, it was buried deep in cartilage

needless to say, full face shield when using wire wheels!

Yep, sends shivers down my spine too. While I hate that you had this mishap, thank you for posting about it.

A few months ago I had a flap disk disintegrate on one side which sent a bunch of those black pieces you mentioned into my palm

Yep, sends shivers down my spine too. While I hate that you had this mishap, thank you for posting about it.
I think the reason stories like this sends shivers down the ol spinal column is we all have stories like this. Heck, right now I have a nail on my right hand that is just now looking somewhat normal after I used it to cushion a 36 inch crescent wrench from a cast iron housing a while ago.

One thing is often they will find a way around protective equipment. Just this week, Had on leather apron, was using the 4.5 angle with a wire brush to clean up some parts, felt something but though noting of it. Later that night I went to do something an kept feeling like something was poking me. Figured that I got a sliver in my shirt some how and it was poking me. Finally pulled my shirt off and there was about 1/4 inch of a metal wire sticking out on my stomach. Pulled an 1 inch long bristle out. Ouch, Why did I not feel that go in.

Back