[4]

finish

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

downeast

Registered
why am I not getting a nice finish on my work on my lathe bought a new 8x16 mini that seems to be nice quality and smooth the only thing that concerns me is that when I increase the turning speed the feed rate also increases the book that came with it doesn't give me a lot of info wonder if changing the gears would slow the feed rate down or are they only for thread cutting any ideas would be helpful after fifty years I am having to pretty much having start all over again

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
if you want a slower feed, you need to change a gear. That said the Harbor Freight type mini lathes have a very fast feed IMO. A lot of folks use a small electric motor mounted on end of lead screw to power the feed so they can get a very slow feed. If you do an internet search it will show up, or go to yahoo groups mini lathe group and read all about it. Its a motor for animation devices and turns ridiculously slow but it works great for slow feed on mini lathe. I have seen one operate, it works quite nice. Micro Mark sells the motors or buy from China on ebay or aliexpress.

mikey

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Downeast, welcome to HM.

Your question has a LOT of elements to it - why am I not getting a good finish?

In order to help you, we need more info:
  • What kind of tools are you using? Brazed or inserted carbide or HSS?
  • How are they held - quick change tool post, 4-way post?
  • Is your tool actually on center height?
  • What kind of material are you cutting and at what speed and feed?
  • Does the finish improve if you feed manually?
Poor finishes have MANY sources. Pics, more info and I'm sure we can help.

downeast

Registered
changed gearing and it slowed my feed down so the finish is looking much better am using both inserted and brazed carbide thanks for the info

[5] [7]