Finished a small turning project

Surprman

Active User
Registered
A friend asked me to make him some small but detailed spacers for work he does on bike modifications. It was the first time I had the chance to use my lathe collets. Way easier then attempting to clamp and align the little parts in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck! Indicated less than 0.001 run out right after tightening closer. Looking forward to using them again.

Rick

D334AF30-8507-49DA-91FD-D6282C757367.jpeg

Nice work . I actually could use something very similar in here at work . I've suggested instead of having 1" of tapped 10-32 threads thru hardened 15-5 stainless dies , I open the holes up and use a threaded insert for 1/4" of thread . I spend my nights removing broken bolts and taps out of these dies . Most of the broken bolts are used for gapping the dies , so no big high pressure is needed . The grade 8 bolts break because of polymer in the threads and they also get heated up to 1200 degrees baking in the cleaning oven . Instant rust .

I use collets for almost everything. Setup is a breeze, no need to worry about running the threaded spindle in reverse.

This all may soon change; the fine denizens of this forum brainwashed me into forking out the money for a 4-Jaw combination chuck, and once that's on I'll probably be loath remove it.

And nice finish on those spacers! My stainless turning is still a bit rough :)

Back