Finished my magnetic drill press project

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As I mentioned the other day in the "what did you do in your shop today" forum, I have been putting together a drill press based stand to support my magnetic drill. I used a 50 lb. base from a Walker Turner 15" drill press, a tilting table from a Delta DP200, and a 2 3/4" OD - 1/4" wall DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel column 48" long.

The mag drill sits on a piece of 3/4" cold roll steel plate on the top of the column. The plate is welded to a 4" long length of 2 1/4" OD DOM tube that is a slip fit into the column. The column, 4" tube, and plate were then all welded together.

DOM tubing is about .003" oversize, so I turned one end of the DOM down to fit the base. I didn't want to turn the whole column down .003" to fit the table bracket, so I enlarged its 2 3/4" holes slightly with a small sanding drum.

Using Weldon shank extensions will give the setup all the capacity of a 14" drill press (with the DP200 table), plus the ability to cut up to 2" holes with annular cutter, 3/4" holes with a twist drill, and automatic feed. I can substitute a larger table if I want more capacity at some point. If I need the Mag drill for outside use, I can just yank it off the column.

Attachments

• IMG_9124.JPG
    IMG_9124.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9133.JPG
    IMG_9133.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9139.JPG
    IMG_9139.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Nice, Tmate, but I would be more interested in turning a drill press into a mag drill. Anybody ever do that?

That sounds like it would be a tough one!

There is a Vid on youtube on making a mag base drill, just watched it a while back..................

Back