Finished My Spider

ptrotter

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am moving along well learning my PM-1340GT lathe. I turned a spider and while the finish isn't what it could be, I am quite pleased. Not having a mill limits me a little and I have to improvise sometimes. I put a dividing head on an XY table on my drill press table to drill the holes. It worked great. Unfortunately it is not rigid enough to mill with but it works for drilling. I made my own fingers by drill into a set screw and inserting some brass rod. I also installed the magnet for the RPM readout so now I can set my RPM properly. I was also lucky in that I did not have to expand the hole in the gear cover to fit the spider through.

Drill Press.jpg
Fingers.jpg
Spider1.jpg
Spider2.jpg

Nicely done, and looking good. I would get some nuts or knurl some stock and thread it to lock the spider bolts when not holding stock. They will work loose with time, and take off across the room. The tach. sender mount also turned out well.

Thanks Mark,

For now I just took the spider bolts out. Eventually I'll make some kind of nut to lock them in. I wanted to get this done so I had a place to mount he magnet for the RPM gauge. Next I'll probably work on a one shot oiler for the quick change gears. I have all the parts to make it. Then I'll add some tool holders of some kind for commonly used wrenches and cutting tools and I should be all set.

I appreciate all the help you have given me to get me started. Also thanks to everyone on these forums for all great ideas and information.

Even with a mill this would be great work, without one, absolutely fantastic job! The ingenuity of your solution to drilling the radial holes is wonderful. I always like to see these kinds of solutions that are effective, available and above all, simple.

Back