Fire suppression

I never thought about this but I should probably cut the hose on the argon tank and turn it on as I run out the door!
Robert

I've seriously considered installing a sprinkler system in the shops. I keep the building heated and have a water line running from the house, so its doable. Haven't thought about it for a while, but when I looked into it the sprinkler heads aren't that expensive.

Greg
Yes...google “ home sprinkler systems “
I too looked at them....purchased a single head...and it’s on my list. In the mean time, I installed a couple of smoke detectors which tie into my alarm. At least that should help with smoldering weld debris.
Totally agree with CO2. Dry chemical destroys stuff. It works...but is super messy. When I had my auto repair we kept couple of the CO2 extinguishers. They wouldn’t mess up the under hood engine compartments after minor gasoline fires. And when working on cars all day long...you’re going to have an engine fire at some point.
Still keep one nearby in the shop.

Last edited:
Yes...google “ home sprinkler systems “
I too looked at them....purchased a single head...and it’s on my list. In the mean time, I installed a couple of smoke detectors which tie into my alarm. At least that should help with smoldering weld debris.
Totally agree with CO2. Dry chemical destroys stuff. It works...but is super messy. When I had my auto repair we kept couple of the CO2 extinguishers. They wouldn’t mess up the under hood engine compartments after minor gasoline fires. And when working on cars all day long...you’re going to have an engine fire at some point.
Still keep one nearby in the shop.

Just keep in mind CO2 has little effect on class A fires (wood, paper etc). As soon as the CO2 disperses if there is still heat left in the material it can reignite. We have demonstrated this for people during extinguisher training using a CO2 on piles of leaves or waste paper basket. Dry chem absolutely is messy, you will spend days if not weeks cleaning your shop afterwards, but the powder forms a crust on burning material smothering the fire and giving it a longer term effectiveness.

Not commonly a problem in home shops, but be aware that most "C" (electrical) extinguishers are not certified as safe to use on electricity greater than 600v. Just in case your pole transformer outside catches fire, best not to engage with that. :faint:

Back