Firearms Parts

roadie33

Active User
Registered
After reading thru a lot of threads and searching with no great luck, I was wanting to know where most of you Gunsmiths buy the components for your gun build projects?
I found a few with Google but would rather get some real input from people who have bought parts from sellers and best prices. Been thinking of building an AR15 in .308 and would like to know where to get quality parts at a fair price.

For fair priced items I always get mine from Aero Precision. I even used their blems. The key to the AR variants in the precision department lies in the free floated barrel launching match grade ammo, ignited by a good quality trigger. In competition we are limited to 4 1/2 pound triggers, and these are match triggers feel much lighter than they are.

i second aero precision. i used to have an 07 FFL and had Aero make my AR lowers with my logo and info.
barrels I've used Green Mounain Barrels with decent results, my favorite barrels were imported from Isreal by WES Group in Florida, but I think they have gone out of business, triggers I used ALG defense and did some stoneing to them to get any scratchiness out of them. I like Magpul furniture, and Midwest Industries free float tube.

EDIT: I just saw you said 308 so your looking to build an AR-10 be VERY careful who's components you used. there is NOT one AR-10 mil spec. the most widely used is the "DPMS configuration" Aero makes theirs to this spec. BUT midwest's DPMS configuration will not work with AERO's upper receiver. best to buy most of the cpmponents from one source.

When I built my 80% AR-10 I bought the lower, upper, and handguard from one manufacturer just so I didn't run into 'configuration' issues.

Yes to what Dave said. You are looking to build an AR10. Buy the upper and lower from the same vendor so you know they match. Mine is Aero Precision. On the barrel choose the twist rate to match the weight of your ammo. If you are looking to only shoot heavy rounds like 168 or 175 grain match grade consider a 1:12 twist. If you are going to shoot 147 grain NATO rounds you can go with a 1:10 twist.
Dave

Palmetto State Armory is my go to for AR parts. I do use Aero stripped uppers and Ballistic Advantage/Aero Precision barrels.

I just bought this 3 pack of AR10 lowers:
https://blitzkriegtactical.com/?view=store&prodID=565

Very happy with the purchase

That looks like a good deal Karl, but I don't think I need 3 of them though. :)
I am just getting started working on guns again. I used to do a lot of the stock and drill and tap for scopes.
It's been 25 years so it is all new again because everything has changed. I've been looking at some of the kits on Midwayusa, Del ton, Palmetto, Ground Zero and Anderson.
Just wondering what else I would need to finish one out? They all seem to talk about using a jig for the lowers.
Any help would be appreciated.

They do have a single lower in 308 for $69.99
You can make a jig if you have a mill. Just a few end mills and drills to finish one up.

They all seem to talk about using a jig for the lowers.
Any help would be appreciated.

For the average bean, a jig of some kind is generally required. The item is so irregular in shape that it doesn't clamp up or lay down very well or very square. That's what everyone's concern is. The machining, itself, is about as dead-dog simple as it gets. Drill 3 holes. Turn it up and cut out a cavity. The holes need to be pretty close, but the cavity can be somewhat forgiving.

Noticed from their ad that their lower is NOT compatible with several different jigs. This is doubtless an exterior feature or two that will get in the way of using those jigs, but more importantly, get in the way of them selling you their jig. I think that, alone, would prompt me to build my own tooling :)

Noticed also that their 80% config is different than the official AR-15 80% config. Perhaps it's different for the .308 or something. Dunno.

The exact configuration of an "80% receiver" has been decided over the years by lengthy and costly court cases battling a zealous and capricious gov't agency that you pay for. But it has been decided, and they are compelled to live by it, so far. So that's a Good Thing.

Just always remember, when it comes to this project, you are a "maker" and not a "manufacturer". Don't ever allow anyone to use the wrong M-word about this.

Wrat

Back