Firearms Sales Question

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What are the current regulations regarding sales of firearms though a third party? I no longer hunt due to health considerations and am considering selling my hunting rifles.

This is very state-dependent. However, on the national level, F2F sale to someone else is legal as long as you both live in the same (current!) state. Out of state must go through an FFL. For handguns, this FFL must be in the buyer's state, for long-guns they can go across state lines (but must still be in person).

SOME states have made the F2F sales illegal (My Oregon is one such :() and require always going through an FFL.

It definitely varies a lot by state. In some states you can sell to another resident of the state directly, and some you have to go through an FFL. Some states allow direct sales of long guns, but not handguns.

If you want to sell to someone in another state, they tell you the FFL to ship the gun to, and the FFL handles the paperwork to transfer the gun to the buyer. Normally you have the FFL send you a copy of their FFL (which can be confirmed online) and then you ship.

Here in Canada it's actually very easy, For long guns including shot guns the buyer must have a federal acquisition, possession license. Gun possession in Canada is regulated buy the federal government, hunting regulations are governed buy individual provinces, You can sell to a person no matter where they live. Hand guns require that the buyer have a restricted firearms license. In Canada hand guns have been restricted since the 1940's I believe. You can ship firearms via Canada post, as long as the the weapon is unloaded and not indicated in the contents. Shipping via courier or transport co requires that the recipient be a gun dealer.
Now there are some forms that must be completed. Basically ownership is federal and usage is provincial.

I'd think especially in the case of a long gun that if you bought before any records were kept that you could sell it locally and nobody would be the wiser.

In many states that's a felony crime.

I do not think it is illegal here.

Assuming 'here' is California:
Since 1991, substantially all firearms transfers are required to use a California-licensed FFL. There are no legal 'paperless' or 'face to face' handgun transfers, and as of 2014, no longer any way to sell long guns FTF.

• Unless you are exempt, there will be a 10-day wait from submitting the DROS until you may legally pick up your purchase.

• Unless you are exempt, or purchasing a handgun via Private Party Transfer, you may purchase only one handgun in 30 days.

Thanks for the info. I do expect that there are many illegal transfers here and in many other states among (normally) law abiding folks. My brother and I just about a year or so ago, we disposed of a collection of a deceased relative for the benefit of the widow; we did it legally through a FFL friend of mine.

Thanks for the info. I do expect that there are many illegal transfers here and in many other states among (normally) law abiding folks. My brother and I just about a year or so ago, we disposed of a collection of a deceased relative for the benefit of the widow; we did it legally through a FFL friend of mine.
Oh, I'm sure you are right. Though Every once in a while it'll come up that state police or ATF will do a sting, so unless you can trust the buyer, there is some risk there...

Back