Firearms Sales Question

In Wisconsin, it is my understanding the sales within the state between private individuals are OK providing the buyer is legally able to buy a firearm (over 18 and not a felon). I am concerned with having a third party act as a broker. Does that person need a FFL.

The gun(s) I am contemplating selling were purchased new in the 1960's, one by me and one by my Dad but I don't want to do something that could come back to bite me.

Title 27 is the federal law concerning firearms. It is the law of the land.
If the firearms are more than 50 years old , and they are long guns, they can legally be transferred from person to person, anywhere in the US. The guns are considered Curio or Relic and are no longer treated in the same manner as a modern firearm.

"Antique firearms," as defined in section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement. For additional exceptions, refer to Penal Code sections 27850 through 27966.

Last edited:
In Wisconsin, it is my understanding the sales within the state between private individuals are OK providing the buyer is legally able to buy a firearm (over 18 and not a felon). I am concerned with having a third party act as a broker. Does that person need a FFL.

The gun(s) I am contemplating selling were purchased new in the 1960's, one by me and one by my Dad but I don't want to do something that could come back to bite me.
I believe any broker you would use would need to be an FFL, as any transfer they would be doing from you-to-them would be for the purposes of selling. Many FFLs will either take stuff as consignment, or just work as a broker for you.

Based on my limited research, Wisconsin F2F deals are fine, but you'd have to do it yourself.

I believe any broker you would use would need to be an FFL, as any transfer they would be doing from you-to-them would be for the purposes of selling. Many FFLs will either take stuff as consignment, or just work as a broker for you.

Based on my limited research, Wisconsin F2F deals are fine, but you'd have to do it yourself.
Thanks Erich, That was what I was thinking. might be the case. There is a local gent who would find buyers for any firearms that I would want to sell for a fee.

I wouldn't worry about it and just do my own business. But my state is good about that.
When in doubt, seek out an FFL. You cannot go wrong doing that. If he's especially honest, he might laugh and tell you to do it yourself if that's viable. Either way, his services can be retained.
You might not NEED to, and it might cost a few extra bucks, but you have zero worries and zero reservations.
Just like any other convenience, you pay that. The FFL can make it seamless, but not for free.
Only you can determine if it's worth it to you.

All of my gun purchases and sales are private. Check id to keep it real and away you go. Bill of sale if you prefer....

Assuming 'here' is California:

I was working in a California gun shop in 1991 when that law passed, I remember it well. Many more states have recently closed the so-called gun show loophole with requirements to transfer private party sales on a form 4473.

You, as the seller, are liable for the legal worthiness of the buyer, and to an extent, the consequences of that transaction. For me, that's an unacceptable liability. As the seller, you don't need to pay for the transfer, the buyer does, and it is typically $25 per event (not per item), so why not cover your backside and funnel the sale through a FFL. That's how do them all these days, I put in my diligence and create a record that absolves me of anything the buyer does. It also protects me from buying/selling a stolen arm by documenting the disposition of said arm along with the identities of the people involved in the event I unwittingly bought something stolen.

I know people have weird and circular ideas about "freedom" and "privacy," but when the lawyers come knocking, I'm happy to comply with ATF because I know that I am not a criminal. I just put it on the books and stay on the up and up. No need for shady deals out of the back of a pickup truck, no need to risk it all for a stranger.

I couldn’t agree with you anymore. I’ve purchased a lot of guns in my time… but only sold @ 2 to private parties. And I regretted one of those sales. Most of the time, I just trade in an old gun I don’t want towards the purchase of a new one. I’m a big fan of the Second… yet at the same time it’s apparently obvious that we need to tighten regulations towards the mentally unstable.
He killed a State Trooper and shot 4 others…appears to be friends/ family

Back