First "Complex" Machining Project

Lots of great ideas, thanks everyone, what seemed like a bit of a daunting project (ok, ok... I'm a beginner) now sounds completely doable.

No DRO yet, and no rotary table yet. Those are coming, down the line. I'll be doing everything manually, brute force, for awhile.

If you go slowly you may be able to use a hole saw to get the inside radii you need. Cutting a complete circle can be problematic because the swarf accumulates in the slot and will bind up, but in your case the swarf will drop out of the cut. I have cut holes in aluminum this way and I did it with my light-weight benchtop mill so I know it's possible. You just need to make sure that the hole cutter is deep enough to go all the way through your workpiece.

For outside radii you already have a number of good suggestions. You also could mill a number of flats around the "outies" and finish up with a belt sander or file work.

I've done what llamatrails suggest many times for things that don't need a lot of precision.

You've already got the CAD file, print out the plan view at 1:1 on a full size 8-1/2 x 11in Avery label, stick it down to your work, and start drilling and sawing.

If you don't have a band saw or a disc sander, good excuse to get them. :)

Back