First Cut on my New Jet 14" Vertical Band Saw=Questions

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I went through the saw, got familiar with it. I took off the wood blade (6TPI) , installed the metal blade (14TPI).
Centered the blade on the wheels, set the guides and made a cut into a piece of hot rolled 1"x 3/16" strap.
I was hoping for a bit more speed. I am thinking of ordering a "Lenox bi-metal 14-8."- (that's what the sales guy called it at the place I purchased the saw)
What blade do you use for this type of cut?
I don't want to replace blades all the time. I'll be cutting aluminum up to 3" round or square to mild steel from 3/16 to 2" round or square stock.
Thanks.

You haven't bothered to tell us what machine you have. Combination wood/metal? If it is a wood-cutting bandsaw, forget about cutting steel.

• Blade Speeds Metal (SFPM) 39, 57, 78, 107, 142, 196, 278
  • Blade Speeds Wood (SFPM) 3,300
  • OOPS
14500 Jet J-8201K, 14" Metal/Wood Vertical Bandsaw 115/230V 1Ph

There is a break in procedure for metal blades , I can’t remember it at the moment.

Blade break-in is basically to begin with a slightly slower than normal feed rate, for awhile.

I have that exact saw.
42465626411_e414c1576c_b.jpg

I run the Lenox Die Master 14 TPI blade or similar. Bahco makes a good blade also. I cut both steel and aluminum but I find that aluminum can stick to the teeth and gum up the blade in spite of using paraffin or other lubricant. I believe that Lenox makes a 14-10 TPI blade (alternating tooth size) that would work well for most metals except thin sheet. For cutting sheet, best to change out to an 18 TPI.
You must go slow with steel and take your time. Build a gravity fed sled like I have and you won't have to attend all your cuts.

Robert

Back