First cutting tools to get for 1340GT lathe?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I just dropped a large deposit for the PM1340 GT lathe in 3 phase. I got it pretty well-equipped with the DRO, set through three jaw chuck, four jaw chuck, VFD, ultra high precision drill chuck and QCTP. I am wondering what advice the members here can give me on the first cutting tools to purchase? If you could be a specific as possible, and even mention a few sources. I would really appreciate this, is the last time I used a leave I was in high school and I assure you that was a long time ago. I was wearing platform heels , bellbottom jeans I clearly remember the “I’m not a crook” speech if that gives you any indication how long it’s been!

You don't say what sort of toolpost you have or are going to buy, that would have a bearing on cutting tools.

Well, I am starting rather humble with a bostar wedge type QCTP. Eventually, I will probably go with the Aloris

Normally I'm against buying sets like these but if you want indexable tools, Matt sells a pretty nice looking set that will be great for starters. Includes SCMCM that you can use for chamfering as well SCBCR which will make use of the "unused" 100° corners of the CCMT/CCGT inserts that are included.

The shape & size insert that this set uses is very common & work well so replacements aren't expensive. That's one of the main criteria I look at when buying an indexable tool, how expensive & readily available the inserts are. Many people make the mistake of buying an expensive tool for cheap thinking they got a great deal only to find that inserts are really expensive or proprietary & no longer made.

I use many of those same style holders & boring bars often. Mine were $50-$75 ea (name brand) for just the holder with no insert so this set is a pretty good deal.

Sadly, I remember those shoes, those pants and that sneaky guy so I'm a contemporary.

I agree with Will - go for the SCLCR/L tooling. Inserts are cheap and easily found on ebay and they work well with most stuff you cut in a hobby shop. If you can, buy some inserts with the smallest nose radius you can find; they will help with close tolerance work.

If your just starting out I ll throw a few thoughts your way. Indexable carbides are handy and easy to get you going. They Will allow you to get started and use your machine from the get go.
However what is it going to do for you to help you understand what is taking place in the cut? Understanding tool geometry is the first thing I think you should try to grasp and the best way is to grind your own high speed steel tools. There is plenty of info. Out there for one to learn and go about it properly. It s a skill needed and will help you to better purchase Your Carbide tooling down thr rd.v
I think you should walk before you run but I can appreciate having something to play with from the start. Take it upon yourself to know hss and it s geometry!

My first choice in most turning work is the Aloris #16 tool holder, it is double ended, and both turns and faces when located on either the left or front dovetails of the QCTP, it takes triangular positive rake inserts. I do not think it is appropriate to use negative rake inserts on light duty machines. Aloris, I believe in mastering HSS tool grinding and using them on light duty machines, especially. I am not calling your PM1340 a light duty machine, but I am speaking in generalities. Negative rake cutters generally do not cut freely, making it more difficult to maintain close tolerances, positive rake tools cut pretty much like HSS tools, making more precise work possible. Don't fall for the old standby that negative rake tools have twice the number of cutting edges than positive rake tools, this may be true, but it is at the cost of precision and productivity.
Finally, mention has been made of tool holders that may be cheap, but inserts may be quite expensive, or simply unavailable; Triangular inserts will likely never be in that category, and can be easily available for reasonable cost.

I have posted the attached information on suggested indexable carbide holders, I added some suggestions for cutoff and threading. Buying better quality inserts makes a world of difference. As far as threading, I use lay down external/internal holders from Iscar/Carmex and have been very pleased with the performance. You need to shop around for pricing and/or wait for sales, so sign up for emails from Zoro and MSC.

Attachments

• Lathe tool holders and inserts recommendations.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I use, exclusively, the Aloris HSS threading tool and holder, it is sharpened only on top, and is made in several sizes for fine to coarse threads, and also for Acme threads. The threading tools are exceptionally long lived, they will last for years in daily use, not minutes as with inserts, when one does not pull the tool out quite soon enough ---. I would start out with HSS parting tools, of the T type, I do use carbide parting tools also, but I'd have to say that one can go through a lot of (expensive) inserts before mastering their use.

Normally I'm against buying sets like these but if you want indexable tools, Matt sells a pretty nice looking set that will be great for starters. Includes SCMCM that you can use for chamfering as well SCBCR which will make use of the "unused" 100° corners of the CCMT/CCGT inserts that are included.

The shape & size insert that this set uses is very common & work well so replacements aren't expensive. That's one of the main criteria I look at when buying an indexable tool, how expensive & readily available the inserts are. Many people make the mistake of buying an expensive tool for cheap thinking they got a great deal only to find that inserts are really expensive or proprietary & no longer made.

I use many of those same style holders & boring bars often. Mine were $50-$75 ea (name brand) for just the holder with no insert so this set is a pretty good deal.

I have this set that I got with my 1440GS. it’s a great way to start and you can start cutting chips right away with it.

Back