First Engine - Elmer's "fancy Wobbler"

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
Here are some pics of my completed "first engine". I didn't have the proper set screw for the flywheel yesterday afternoon so I haven't run it yet, but I'll post a video once I do. This project was a bit challenging for me because of the size of the parts. My machining experience has primarily been on full scale parts for motorcycles, racing engines and prototype industrial machinery. It was fun, and now I'm ready to take on something a bit larger. I was thinking about the Elmer's #5 Geared, or #33 Mill Engine . I like to see parts moving and so for now, I'll stick to a couple of steam/ comp air motors. Being a ex Harley guy, I'd like to eventually build a Hoglet or another variety of V-Twin.

IMG_0531.jpgIMG_0366.jpgIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0377.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0526.jpgIMG_0527.jpgIMG_0528.jpgIMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0377.jpg IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0526.jpg IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0529.jpg

Very nice work! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure my eyes are good enough for something that small. I'll be looking for that video.

NICE! If it runs nearly as good as it looks it'll purr.

I finished the engine up with a little wooden base that I turned out of some leftover Teak I had lying around. Here's the first run test on the shop compressor. I later found a small needle valve to better regulate air pressure and I still would like to get a low pressure gauge (0-30 psi?)

http://youtu.be/sTYVb_xVcSU

is that a kit, or from scratch with a print? I've been looking at some kits with castings, but i'm really tired of machining cast iron and cleaning up the dust.

Thanks to all for the compliments. No, it's not a kit. I made it from a blueprint that someone sent me. For the materials I used some steel and brass remnants that I scavenged from a local metal supplier.

is that a kit, or from scratch with a print? I've been looking at some kits with castings, but i'm really tired of machining cast iron and cleaning up the dust.

Tom - I believe they are all scratch built with the exception of the larger ones with cast flywheels which you can buy. If you Google Elmer's Engines you will find lots of plans online.

Steve

Back