First facing cut - carbide insert - 5/8" brass round

ssdesigner

Registered
Registered
LMS 5100 mini lathe:
So I have everything tightened up, adjusted, etc and I'm attempting my first facing cut. The carbide tool isn't grabbing and just vibrates and pulses when it touches the stock. I can get it to bite in, but it takes quite a bit of force and chatter, and I know that something is off. Gears are in the middle neutral position, half nut locked on lead screw. I've tried it at 600 rpm and 1800 rpm. Same result no matter how fast I'm spinning. I feel like I'm missing an important step in my process. Photo attached. IMG_1245.jpg

I must need to reposition the material in the chuck because one thread to the right on the lead screw and I miss the material. One thread to the left and it’s too big of a bite.

I must need to reposition the material in the chuck because one thread to the right on the lead screw and I miss the material. One thread to the left and it’s too big of a bite.
Ummm ... you know that you can use partial turns on the leadscrew to very precisely control depth of cut, right?:) Try a lighter depth of cut.

As noted, be sure the tip of your tool is on center height. At least align the top with the top of your live center.

It will also help to make sure that the left side cutting edge is turned toward the chuck by about 5 degrees. The tool should contact the work just behind the nose of the tool.

That is not a turning tool, by the way. I think it's used as a chamfer tool in import sets. You would do better to learn to grind and use HSStools on your smaller lathe. HSS will typically way outperform carbide on small lathes.

Last edited:
Ummm ... you know that you can use partial turns on the leadscrew to very precisely control depth of cut, right? Try a lighter depth of cut.

As noted, be sure the tip of your tool is on center height. At least align the top with the top of your live center.

It will also help to make sure that the left side cutting edge is turned toward the chuck by about 5 degrees. The tool should contact the work just behind the nose of the tool.

That is not a turning tool, by the way. I think it's used as a chamfer tool in import sets. You would do better to learn to grind and use HSStools on your smaller lathe. HSS will typically way outperform carbide on small lathes.
Great info, all of it. Thank you. I’ll get some HSS bits for sure. I don’t have tools or the cash to grind them at the moment, so that will need to wait.

I think that all of my quick change tooling is aligned properly, yes?
image.jpg

Locking the carriage is helpful as well as a little fine adjustment on the compound.

Back