First facing cut - carbide insert - 5/8" brass round

Brass likes sharp edged tools with no back rake, and perhaps a small nose radius, inserts are mostly not very sharp, not a good choice for brass, HSS is the answer.
Nice of John to beat me to it, I was going to say something along the lines of, "is that carbide insert going to hold up against brass?"

Brass is special in that it likes a flat-topped tool and a near 90 degree edge.

I don’t think that my LMS 5100 has a carriage lock. I’ve seen a few vids on how to add one.

An old school way to see if the tool bit is on center is to take a six inch rule and put it between the tool bit and stock horizontally. Then bring the tool bit in to hold the rule. You can tell that the bit is on center when the rule is straight up and down. Quick and easy.

I have made a number of form tools for brass, used on the #2 Bardons & Oliver hand screw machinr that I had, they are all flat on top with minimal side and front clearance, brass will draw the tool into the cut with too much clearance angle, one repeat job was making hex head pipe plugs with a drilled hole in the center, operations were to form the OD with chamfers and taper for threading with an automatic die head, threading and then spotting for the drilled hole and drilling and parting off, just that quick! we made thousands of them,

I also have this set. Would any of these be ideal?
The photo shows the bottoms of the tools, but they don't look like they have a lot of ground rake, so they should do nicely. Anything will cut, but sharp tools cut brass best, even if the geometry isn't brass-specific. Try some of those out, you'll see.

These inserts prefer high speed (120 m/min and more, check the box). For a good finish, I use a 0.2 to 0.3 mm cutting depth and feed 0.05 to 0.1 mm/rev at 120 m/min.
Your insert has a 60° angled tip. You must keep a clearance angle otherwise you can't cut. I use these inserts at a clearance angle of 15° for turning and facing without changing the position of the tool.
Check the facing side of the stock (no pip) to see if your tool is at center height. If it is to high, turning/facing will be difficult.

The 4e tool from top (Right handed tool) would do the job also, facing and turning. Place the tool square to the stock for facing and turning

The photo shows the bottoms of the tools, but they don't look like they have a lot of ground rake, so they should do nicely. Anything will cut, but sharp tools cut brass best, even if the geometry isn't brass-specific. Try some of those out, you'll see.

From the website:

IMG_1251.jpeg

Back