First Freehand Turn on Mini Lathe

Yep, littlemachineshop has some rather nice upgrades for these products. I also have the metal change-gear set as well.

Do they have a place where they specifically list upgrades for a machine or you've just found them over time?
I normally go to Little Machine Shop website, and click "all products, then select "machines", then select the model I am interested in. Towards the top right of the page is a link called "Accessories & Upgrades". This will find the basic upgrades. Unfortunately, for things like the extended travel cross-feed, and the more rigid compound base, those things you have to look for on their site. This includes the tapered bearings for your lathe. Note: the tapered bearings are thicker (require more depth), this means you have to make a thinner keyed spacer for the gears to line up properly after the upgrade). You will need to make that spacer in advance (it replaces the black plastic keyed spacer on the spindle, which is made with poor dimensional control). I sometimes go page-by-page through their entire catalog to discover some things.

Often, you first learn such things are available from the helpful members of this forum. A search on the web for "sieg sc2 upgrades" may reveal more options.

I often go to the following page as well:

one of accessories sub pages

Remember you have to cycle through the options at the bottom of the page, (Jump to: A-B C D-G H-N O-R S T-W). This allows you to see ALL of the options, instead of JUST the first page.

A phone call to LMS, asking them about what upgrades are available for your lathe often is fertile grounds to get additional suggestions.
In your position, I would consider the Digital Read Out option for your handles. The 7350 comes with them, and I really like them. You will want the black ones, as versus the grey ones. I also got the Spider, which supports long rods which are going Through the Chuck; it supports the metal on the back side of the spindle. This allows you to work with longer material on the lathe, provided it is 3/4 of an inch or smaller in diameter.

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I only looked at that looking for 'accessories'...

They do list the extended travel cross slide, #4450, but not the compound base.

I did add a DRO to my Mill, but I'm not ready to add it to the lathe. Gotta play with it some more before I'm ready for that expense!

Thanks again, Tom

They do list the compound base (it may not have an obvious name). Look for a picture of the base with Four Counter-sunk holes in it. It has the original holes, plus the additional ones which allow it to be placed with less "overhang". This results with a more rigid structure which will makes your cutter chirp less.

They have more than one example. Be sure to check the "Compatible" tab, to ensure it fits your lathe.

Last edited:
They do list the compound base
Yeah, when you first mentioned it you included the LMS part number (thanks for that). Unfortunately that is sold out at the moment. I added a 'notify' and get it when it comes in. Hopefully the Extended Cross Slide will still be in stock then so I can bundle shipping (their costs are a little steep).

Yeah, when you first mentioned it you included the LMS part number (thanks for that). Unfortunately that is sold out at the moment. I added a 'notify' and get it when it comes in. Hopefully the Extended Cross Slide will still be in stock then so I can bundle shipping (their costs are a little steep).
I will throw in that the Compound, is simply the stock compound with two extra counter-sunk holes. It is quite possible to modify your existing compound base to have the same features. The counter-sunk hole has a flat bottom, which may require some thought If you don't have a milling machine.

is simply the stock compound with two extra counter-sunk holes.
Good point. If you get the chance, can you measure the distance from the original holes to the new ones I'll modify the one I have (obviously the hole & counterbore will be the same as original)?

Good point. If you get the chance, can you measure the distance from the original holes to the new ones I'll modify the one I have (obviously the hole & counterbore will be the same as original)?
The holes are 7/8ths of an inch further down. You are in luck, I have a picture of it before it had the creosote removed.

Attachments

• Lower Compound block 1677.jpg
    Lower Compound block 1677.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 11
Here is the reverse side, which needs a third hole which does not go all the way through. The pat is flipped from left to right in the second picture.

Attachments

• Lower Compound block Reverse side 1677.jpg
    Lower Compound block Reverse side 1677.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 10
Back