First Goal With First Machine - A South Bend

Johnny wanted to see what his basement shop would look like with length wise tables, which we started making, versus cross-wise tables. He downloaded some software and figured out how to use it.

upload_2017-1-8_20-19-21.png

He settled on cross-wise tables as shown above. My bench and 2 sets of shelves are in the upper right. The lathe will go to the left of that with a support table and in the lower right is our table saw and it's support table. The scary thing is he and his mother started drawing up the house and changing the design. I got him back in the basement fast!

Here's the lathe just before cleaning. That's yellow paint on the inside there.

upload_2017-1-1_13-11-12-png.710745.png

Hi Joe,

The good news: I found your exact lathe model number in a catalog from 1931. I just uploaded a pdf copy to here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/southbend-9-inch-junior-lathes-catalog-22c-1931.3151/

Page 4 (of 24) lists the model 22-ZB.

The bad news: that same catalog page convinced me that I was wrong above. For later model years the trailing "B" means it came with a bench.
For yours, I have no clue what it means! Sorry.
I did a quick look thru that catalog and did not see the answer........but I went pretty quick.

However, I bet someone here knows the answer.

-brino

Yes, that's it on page 4. I don't see anything in there about felt kits. Darn. I bet Johnny will be referring to this document quite a bit. Thank you.

Joe

If you could help us figure out which felt kit to get: A, B or C, we would both appreciate it. My son doesn't think it's a B even though the catalog # is 22ZB. I would just buy the one with the most pieces and use what is needed, but that just puts off the question, what goes where.
Hi Joe: I do not believe there are that many felts in that machine. The felt kits on the Ebay are for lathes after the 40s. I may wrong but those kits are for SBLs with side oilers not center oilers like in your photo. Your machine came before the ABC designation. ....i think.

Your machine came before the ABC designation. ....i think.
@LucknowKen, that's interesting. I wonder when the A, B, C designations started.
I believe they eventually indicated things like whether it had a quick-change gear box, power cross-feed, etc.

@Joe Kuhn, if you haven't found it yet have a look at the SouthBend book 'How to Run a Lathe". There are several versions in the download section (as well as many other great references), here is one version:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/sb-how-to-run-a-lathe-1966-27th-edition-56-pdf.2909/

-brino

Hi Joe: I do not believe there are that many felts in that machine. The felt kits on the Ebay are for lathes after the 40s. I may wrong but those kits are for SBLs with side oilers not center oilers like in your photo. Your machine came before the ABC designation. ....i think.
Yes, my son only found a few when he cleaned it, but being raw beginners we don't really know how to proceed. Oil up what we have and don't worry about it?

@LucknowKen, that's interesting. I wonder when the A, B, C designations started.
I believe they eventually indicated things like whether it had a quick-change gear box, power cross-feed, etc.

@Joe Kuhn, if you haven't found it yet have a look at the SouthBend book 'How to Run a Lathe". There are several versions in the download section (as well as many other great references), here is one version:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/sb-how-to-run-a-lathe-1966-27th-edition-56-pdf.2909/

-brino
Johnny has found that book and went through it. I don't know how thoroughly, but we are looking at belt options next.

Thanks everybody for the help. You guys must watch the beginner's forum for people like us. Well, we appreciate it. Know that it keeps us moving forward.

Yes, my son only found a few when he cleaned it, but being raw beginners we don't really know how to proceed. Oil up what we have and don't worry about it?
Hi Joe: Do you mean use the old felts?
If the felts a perfect, and clean. That is not too likely.
Cut strips to size. Firm pure wool felt is best.
I got my felt from old piano hammers. Also i have used felt from insoles and even old (old) goalie pads.
It has to be felt of pure wool. It is true it can be difficult to find pure wool felt, most now is synthetic.
Synthetic felt will not allow the oil to flow to the target (bearing) consistently.
Also like you said previously, the Ebay kits are fine, but you would end up with some spare items.
lk

Johnny has found that book and went through it. I don't know how thoroughly, but we are looking at belt options next. Thanks everybody for the help.
Southbend's HTRAlL was a good call from Brino. Almost everything is in there somewhere.
As for a belt, you have a few options. If the machine will not be relocated the automotive timing belt is the preferred option (imho). That belt requires removal of the headstock spindle and countershaft.
I use the clip laced leather belts, because they are the easiest to repair /replace.
Early leather flat belts were laced, literally with soft wire or cat gut.
There are also guys that glue their belts, leather or rubber or even automotive seat belt.
In general i find with SBL: when in doubt, stick to the configuration it had when it left the factory.
lk

This edit might help:
This is from WSWells:

Up until 1934 SB lathes we coated with japanning.
Series "O" machines had the single wall apron.
Series "O" all have a star knob that is loosened shifted and tightened to select cross, neutral or long feeds.
Series "N" aprons have a knob that you push in and pull out for this function.
The double wall apron series "N" may not have been made after the late thirties (1937) due to market forces.
The R series lathes came out in the early thirties (1934). An R series lathe can always be identified because it will have the double wall apron with the more modern feed shift handle rather than star knob shifter.
If your workshop lathe is a 34 or 35 it's a catalog 405. It can be identified by the 1 3/8-10 spindle thread and the fact that it has no reveres shifter and the lead screw is left hand thread. If it does not have these three things then its not a 405. If it has the 1 1/2-8 spindle thread and has two bolts to hold each spindle bearing cap on its a catalog 520 toolmakers lathe. If it has just one bolt on each head stock bearing cap and has the 1 1/2-8 spindle and has a reverse shifter with right hand thread lead screw its a catalog 415. All three of these lathes will have the spindle oilier on top of the head stock bearing caps.

>>>>>

Last edited:
Back