First IC engine build-Own Design

Thanks Rick! I havent done a ton last day or two as I've been busyier, But the weekend is HERE!! ::thumbzup:: I did get a chunk of 2.5 inch stock squared and faced the ends to be used as the rear crancase section. I had origionally planned this to be one piece, But after thinking about how much metal removal it would take I decided to make it 2 pieces.....One being the "snout" with the brass bushing and holding the crank and carb, And 1 block the cylinder is mounted on top of and will have mount lugs and by being seperate will eliminate the need for the traditional rear cover to keep the rod on the crankpin. I'm fixing to go out and put some holes in it now :) Todd

IMG_20111006_185634.jpg IMG_20111006_200552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, sorry if I seemed to abandon this post for a while, But I'm back. After scrapping a crankcase and realizing that I was having some difficulty figuring out timing events,etc...I decided to put this engine on the back-burner and work on something already proven and gain some experience before I carry on. Being a model airplane guy and enjoying my experience with "compression ignition" type diesels, I decided to try a BollAero 18 . Actually 3 of them(I hate to setup just to make one piece. I've gotten a fair amount of lathe work done...trying to avoid constant switching from mill to lathe on my 3-1 machine. I've been turning and fitting the cast-iron pistons to the cylinders tonight and making the contra-pistons. If I get this done tonight I will maybe switch to vertical work tomorrow and drill wristpin and port holes and mill transfer slots. Anyone here built one of these?

ba1.jpg ba2.jpg ba3.jpg

I got to work a bit more on the engine(s) today. I got some holes poked through one of the crankcases where the "snout" and rear cover fit and the holes drilled for the bolts. This engine is designed where one can interchange the front and rear covers and get the intake and exhaust on the side that fits your application best.:thumbzup: I also got the hole bored that the cylinder fits down into, and will probably get those boltholes drilled tonight. During these steps I'm trying to teach myself to find the edge/center and then use the numbers on the dials and x-y coordinates to locate holes instead of manual measuring and centerpunching like I usually find myself doing.:nono: I think once I swap over to this technique in my head It will really help my learning curve and speed things up as well as reducing errors. A DRO would be great at this point, but its probably a good idea to make myself learn the "old fashioned" way. Todd :drink:

bacrankcase.jpg baparts.jpg

Ooops, Are these pictures too big? I thought the new site sized them automatically? No:headscratch: Let me know If I should change them

Back