First Lathe for Learning

Don't overlook buying used equipment. Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace can have some pretty sweet deals. As someone posted, you can plan on spending more money on tooling and tools than the base machine.

I'm guessing that if you are just first starting to learn and will probably want a larger machine down the road. And then you'll want a milling machine. And then you'll want a xyz. So my suggestion is to start off with a cheaper, used machine to start learning on. Pick up used tools and tooling as well. Once you get some experience you'll know better what machine(s) you want to end up with for your gunsmithing work.

I still use tools that I bought from retired toolmakers back in the 70's every day. Those older quality tools will last forever if you treat them properly. You can find deals on complete sets of tools for what a few new tools would cost. Also, invest in a few good books and watch a lot of YouTube videos.

A journey of a thousand miles.......

Have fun!
Ted

Thanks for the tips, I’ve been keeping an eye out for any local gems. I actually just saw this one posted in the last day. Looks like it’s a Central Machinery 33274, 12x36. With something used like this, I wouldn’t mind leaving in the garage as much.

Does this seem like a viable machine? They said it’s in working condition, trying to determine the price still.

I’m fine with getting a new smaller one to start, as I think it’s be useful to keep around anyway and would fit well in my current shop. However, I’m open to reasonable ideas like this for sure.

d9fb548f73a9363a398a8b36e659c7c8.jpg

a7065106cc0a2072152e440d1c964a80.jpg

c25748fc62f007b64f75c7ea06fcfbf2.jpg

I may have milled out an AR receiver or two, but don't do gunsmithing myself. What I have heard though is that you'll generally want a lathe that can hold a barrel either way, i.e., between centers, or through the headstock. That usually means at least 30" between centers length, and a spindle bore of at least 1.5".

Obviously that is bigger than you're looking at right now.

Gotcha, yes I’ve figured that part out, as all the smaller ones commonly have a bore size of .78”. That wasn’t my intention for this machine though. I was just talking about long term goals. Who said I had to have just one machine ;)

That's a very capable machine, I just saw one at a custom bicycle frame shop yesterday.

If the price is right I'd jump on it, it'll clean up fine and parts are generally not hard to come by.

John

That's a very capable machine, I just saw one at a custom bicycle frame shop yesterday.

If the price is right I'd jump on it, it'll clean up fine and parts are generally not hard to come by.

John

Sweet, thanks. I’ll report back if I hear something about price to see if it’s worth it. I’ll do some research in the meantime on parts and such.

Do factor in tooling when deciding, with my 12x36 I got a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, steady and follow rest, a bunch of Armstrong tool holder, bits, and misc. other stuff that might come in handy.

The Grizzly you're looking at does have most of that stuff but in a much smaller package.

John

When you look at buying a machine, consider what is included in the package. For example, a machine that includes a 4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, collet chuck with collets, steady rest, follower rest, face plate. quick change tool holder with an assortment of holders, cutting tools, drills, reamers, and other misc. tooling is worth a LOT more than a fairly bare machine that might be a little newer and/or larger.

Don't be afraid of lathes that take belts. I have a 15" South Bend, a 13" South Bend and a 6" Hardinge Cataract and they all are belt driven. They don't build machines like these any more! Old quality iron is hard to beat.

Maybe you can find a 9" South Bend that would fit in your basement. These are very common lathes and might be a very good start for you.

Just throwing out some food for thought.

Edit: Just saw matthewsx's post. He beat me to it on the additional items!

Ted

Who said I had to have just one machine ;)
I have 4 lathes. Three of them are functional, the fourth one is a work in progress. One of the functional ones, the first lathe I bought, is basically sold pending pickup. So obviously I have no problem with multiple machines! LOL

Sure, I totally get that, but lack of space for something like the G4003G is the biggest limiting factor right now. Not sure how I could possibly get it inside my basement without ripping up the main level flooring lol. My garage is not ideal at the moment, lacks good insulation and such.
You'd be surprised what you can move down stairs with a few friends, beer, and someone with rigging knowledge. :grin:
Thanks for the tips, I’ve been keeping an eye out for any local gems. I actually just saw this one posted in the last day. Looks like it’s a Central Machinery 33274, 12x36. With something used like this, I wouldn’t mind leaving in the garage as much.

Does this seem like a viable machine? They said it’s in working condition, trying to determine the price still.
That Central Machinery looks nearly identical to a G4003G; it looks to have the D1-5 spindle and controls are the same.

Others said it, but +1 to my understanding that you'd ideally want a 12x36 if doing rifle barrels due to the distance between centers as well as the 1.5" spindle bore.

I started on a 11x26 and very quickly (in months) outgrew it. Found & purchased a G4003G on CL from a shop that specifically did gunsmithing (though that's not my hobby).

If you want to turn barrels then you need at least 36" between centers. If you plan to use barrels that have already been contoured, most contoured barrels will fit in the 25/32 spindle bore on a smaller lathe. There is a guy who goes by Varmint Al. He reamed his mini lathe spindle out to 13/16. Barrels fit because the headstock on a smaller lathe has a shorter over all length. In days gone by lots of gunsmiths only lathe was atlas/craftsman or south bend.

Another bonus is smaller lathes are not that heavy. Take off the major components like the motor and cross slide and two people can easily carry the lathe down stairs into a basement.

As for tooling some stuff you have to buy like 3 & 4 jaw chucks but other stuff like QCTP and tool holders you can make. One nice thing about making your tooling is that it is a great learning experience. I made my QCTP and holders. I made a collet chuck and a spider. Found a deal on a 4 jaw chuck that needed a backing plate to fit on my lathe. I made it.

I think that the most important thing to look out for is a worn out lathe that needs lots of work to be usable. Search out estate sales where the family is selling off grandpa's stuff. That's where my lathe and mill/drill came from. Both had seen only hobby use and were in good condition. And the lathe came with lots of tooling.

Don't be in a rush. Take your time and you will find a good lathe at a fair price that will meet your needs.

Welcome to the forum

Yes, time is your friend with finding machinery. But you do have to be ready when the deal comes along.

Go check out that Central Machinery, it should be easy to tell if it's worn out or simply dirty. I'll bet the later because most production shops would probably not have bought that machine in the first place, and guys with worn out stuff tend to make it look pretty to make you think it's new. Grandpa might have kept everything immaculate, or he may have rode it hard and put it away wet. Since it's iron, it's durable by nature and unlikely to be worn out unless used in a factory or severely mistreated.

If nothing else you'll get to see a lathe that has been used close up, see if the seller will chuck something up and let you try running it. If you've never run a lathe it will be an important experience.

The small machines of the past were in a different class than what is being offered now for the most part. It's easy to search on here for how different vendors stuff compares. Grizzly is usually pretty decent from what I've read but you will get what you've paid for, if you're handy you can get a lot more machine buying used.

Keep asking questions here, you'll get lots of answers from folks who have some, to a lot of experience. Let us know what you find.

John

Back