First Lathe... How did I do?

Yes. Amazon has a selection of new gears from Boston Gear. Pricey but good quality. You'll need to know the DP and the pressure angle, but IIRC it's not anything unusual.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not to hijack the post but how can you find out the DP and the pressure angle? I also am picking one of these lathes up.

You wouldn't want to part with one of those extra 4 jaws you have would you? I'm in the process of restoring a 9C that I only have a 3 jaw for. It seems to be in really good shape. Haven't measured wear on the ways but no discernible ridges that you can feel. Possible ever so slight ridge on the Vs of the carriage (just barely catch it with a finger nail). I'm hoping for the best. This lathe came out of an electric shop and I believe it spent it's life turning mostly the commutators or armatures or whatever you call the brass end that the brushes wear on motors. The only shavings I have found anywhere on the lathe are brass. Unfortunately it also did not come with any change gears and only has a 16 tooth stud gear, a 54/18 tooth idler gear, a 72/18 tooth idler gear, and an 80 tooth screw gear. I did luck out and won an auction on E-Bay for a complete set of change gears. It also came with a micrometer steady rest, quite a few tool holders and a lantern tool post, and several live and dead centers and mounted to a huge metal bench. The best part is I paid $50.00 for it.

Let me get everything cleaned up first. The lathe is behind another project so it maybe a little before I’m ready to tackle it.

Thanks! I’m going to clean it up and clean the stand. Ill get this started after I finish another project I’m on.

Please Keep me in mind when you do get around to it. The project your working on now looks like a great "fun with foam board" endeavor. :encourage: Do you use the Grand for overlanding?

That's the plan. It will be a trail/overland build. I have lockers, skid plates, a rear bumper to build, rear quarter panel armor to install, and axle reinforcements to install. This isn't including whats already been done.

"Not to hijack the post but how can you find out the DP and the pressure angle? I also am picking one of these lathes up."

Get yourself a set of involute gear tooth gauges. The pressure angle will very likely be 14 1/2° with most lathes.

IMG_1053 (768x1024).jpgIMG_1054 (1024x768).jpg

Brian

"Not to hijack the post but how can you find out the DP and the pressure angle? I also am picking one of these lathes up."

Get yourself a set of involute gear tooth gauges. The pressure angle will very likely be 14 1/2° with most lathes.

View attachment 261424View attachment 261425

Brian

The other alternative is mathematics. There are formulas to calculate the diametral pitch in the machinists handbook as well as all over the Internet, e.g. http://www.silverhawk.net/2015/12/gearing-for-my-south-bend-junior-lathe.html. Most south bends come in a pitch of 18, but early ones like my junior were 16DP. Get them right, because they don't mesh if you have different pitches.

Number of teeth + 2 divided by outside diameter should get you real close to Diametral Pitch (Might end up being a number like 18.023etc. DP would be 18).

Back