First Lathe Logan 400

BabyLogan

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a logan 400 out of a barn very close by.
Guy said it was his grandfathers lathe originally.
I plan to build a better table for it and go through it to get it back into top shape.
Where do i find a diagram, or how to instructions for a tear down?
What do you use to match the factory grey/blue paint?
I would also like to find a reasonably priced QCTP for it.
Any other upgrades from other Logan owners, DRO, tach?

Thanks20190914_185250.jpg

Congrats on your new lathe. There really isn't a set of tear down instructions for your Logan, but
Logan usually has a parts list and operating instructions available, which are very useful. Have a look at lathe.com.
A lot of tear down on the lathe is pretty straight forward, and if you run into snags you can get help by posting on the forum. Is the lathe in running condition?
There are a number of lower cost (i.e. Chinese) QCTP's available. Your Logan would probably need an AXA toolpost. Bostar, Shars
and All Industrial Tool are brands that folks around here seem to like. Mine is a Phase II, which has been fine but they've become
more expensive for some reason.
Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Like you my first lathe is a Logan 400. I was able to purchase a book with a diagram. I talked with someone during my search and he warned me that the lathe had a tendacy to tip over backwards if the motor support post was not used. I built my stand without the support post to the floor. My legs are wider than the factory stands and I have had no problems with it. I purchased the bostar axa qctp for a reasonable price and I am happy with it. Good luck and have fun with it.
Jay

Last edited:
and you got a steady rest! Nice.

The T nut does not fit my lathe, need access to a mill to machine it down to size.

I suggest not getting too attached to this lathe and spending to outfit it excessively...as you get more experience, you will want a lathe with a QCGB at a minimum.

I suggest not getting too attached to this lathe and spending to outfit it excessively...as you get more experience, you will want a lathe with a QCGB at a minimum.
I passed up on a model 825 about a year ago. It was missing its original lower cabinet and was rigged up to a metal framed table.
By the time i came to my senses a week later it was sold.
Im going through this model 400 completely, and going to build a new stand for it and a chip pan.
I was thinking 1/2" steel plate, but that may be overkill.

Just picked up a logan 400 out of a barn very close by.
Guy said it was his grandfathers lathe originally.
I plan to build a better table for it and go through it to get it back into top shape.
Where do i find a diagram, or how to instructions for a tear down?
What do you use to match the factory grey/blue paint?
I would also like to find a reasonably priced QCTP for it.
Any other upgrades from other Logan owners, DRO, tach?

ThanksView attachment 302118
Congrats on your new lathe. There really isn't a set of tear down instructions for your Logan, but
Logan usually has a parts list and operating instructions available, which are very useful. Have a look at lathe.com.
A lot of tear down on the lathe is pretty straight forward, and if you run into snags you can get help by posting on the forum. Is the lathe in running condition?
There are a number of lower cost (i.e. Chinese) QCTP's available. Your Logan would probably need an AXA toolpost. Bostar, Shars
and All Industrial Tool are brands that folks around here seem to like. Mine is a Phase II, which has been fine but they've become
more expensive for some reason.
Welcome to the forum!
I order a Shars QCTP for it, and a T nut yo mount it.
Also order a set of carbide bit holders to simplify things.
Got the missing threading dial from ebay this week, and a MT2 live center.

Back