First lathe project. Enco 12x36

bigloudvtwin

Registered
Registered
One of my target rifles is a .338 Lapua Magnum. I finally found the load and length the thing likes. I already had reloading dies for it however, the bullet seating die has the wrong radius inside for the long bullets I use. Seating depth varies about .005 +/-. I ordered a micrometer seating plug for it with 1/2' x 20 threads. The die stem was 3/16x 20. Die material was very hard so I brought it up to 1600-1700 in my forge and slow cooled to soften. After that I chucked it up in the lathe and drilled it in steps to about .400. Didn't have the right bit to get closer to tap size so I used a small boring tool to take it out to .470. Tapped it and had to machine off almost .500 to get right overall length. When finished on the lathe I cleaned it up with acetone and took it back up to red heat in forge and quenched to re harden.
Back into the lathe to polish inside and chase threads. Perfect. To purchase a micrometer seating die is about $185. My home made version cost me about $60 (not counting the $1100 I spent on the lathe and tooling!)
I'm very happy with my Enco lathe. I was basically ran off another web forum for having a foreign lathe. Looks like I'm a good fit here.
Going to try and post pics of project and my new toy.
Thanks

One of my target rifles is a .338 Lapua Magnum. I finally found the load and length the thing likes. I already had reloading dies for it however, the bullet seating die has the wrong radius inside for the long bullets I use. Seating depth varies about .005 +/-. I ordered a micrometer seating plug for it with 1/2' x 20 threads. The die stem was 3/16x 20. Die material was very hard so I brought it up to 1600-1700 in my forge and slow cooled to soften. After that I chucked it up in the lathe and drilled it in steps to about .400. Didn't have the right bit to get closer to tap size so I used a small boring tool to take it out to .470. Tapped it and had to machine off almost .500 to get right overall length. When finished on the lathe I cleaned it up with acetone and took it back up to red heat in forge and quenched to re harden.
Back into the lathe to polish inside and chase threads. Perfect. To purchase a micrometer seating die is about $185. My home made version cost me about $60 (not counting the $1100 I spent on the lathe and tooling!)
I'm very happy with my Enco lathe. I was basically ran off another web forum for having a foreign lathe. Looks like I'm a good fit here.
Going to try and post pics of project and my new toy.
Thanks

Yes, yes you are very welcome here. We are glad you found us.

Yup, post up pics of your lathe and projects. We'd love to see 'em.

What is the max memory size for images? Looks like I have to edit them down

How consistent does it seat bullets now?

I compress images to less than 500kB each, in order to save bandwidth and not abuse the sites monthly storage bill.

We all know which site you are referring to..
Welcome. There are some very talented and friendly people on this forum.
You seem to be no stranger to the science of metallurgy.
I have a Howa barreled action in 6.5 Creedmore, I have been thinking about finishing.

Pics of my steps minus tapping. I was concentrating pretty hard trying not to gall the threads. Also pic of the lathe and some of the tooling that came with.
My friends want me to build a golf ball cannon, so I ordered a piece of 4" dia x 10" L steel round stock.
Looks like I'm gonna have to build a boring bar. I have a 5/8" bar holder but no bar for it. Now I could use a vertical mill if I had one but oh well Not spending the $ on that right now. Thanks all for the replies. I love making stuff!

die and mic 1.gif

boring die.gif

die at temp.gif

die in forge.gif

drilling die.gif

finished die.gif

lathe.gif

softened die.gif

tooling.gif

Welcome to the forum.
I have Ruger Precision In 6.5 CM. I put a Nightforce NXS on it. Most forgiving caliber I ever shot/reloaded for! Will shoot 3/8" groups all day long. Have her on steel now out to 750 yards. I highly recommend you finish that rifle, You will love it. Cheap to shoot as well. BIG PLUS!
OOPS sorry Thomas s, This was meant for Janderso. My mistake.

Back