First Lathe

Andy2112

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good morning,
I am new here and would like some advise.
I am going to look at and possibly buy my first lathe tomorrow. It is an Atlas 12" (that is how it is listed). I have been looing around on a few websites to try to better identify what it is. The closest I can come to to an Atlas 10F. It looks identical to this lathe. I am confused because those lathes came in a 6-9-10 and 12 inch configuration. It has the rectangular power switch so my research has shown it is possibly a late 40's model. I do know where to look for the bed length data tag. IT has the Timken roller bearing head.
If I look up an Atlas 12" the pictures I have found look nothing like the one I am going to look at.
I am thinking maybe the lathe has the wrong manuals and the seller doesn't know that.
It is a family member selling due to the father going into assisted living. I want to be as fair as i can with the price but I also want to make sure what I think I ma buying is actually what I ma getting.
Are there any tips or pointers on things I need to look out for?
The ad shows not chuck but the family says there are a lot of accessories that go with it.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Andy

Welcome! Pictures or a link to the ad might help get answers to your questions. If it has been used fairly recently it’s definitely a safer bet. Sorry I’m not more help. Good luck!

Looks pretty clean. Hard to tell, but seems like a 12x40? I am definitely not an expert on Atlas lathes, but I did look at a few when I bought my Logan. Can’t help with value. Hopefully others more knowledgeable will weigh in.

Tom Lipton (Ox Tools) has a good YouTube on how to assess a lathe. There are some other good videos on YouTube as well. I’d start there.

Welcome to the forum.

That is a very nice looking lathe. Looks to have been well cared for. Wa5cab our resident expert on these lathes will chime in here to tell you whatever you need to know about it.

As to value that is hard to peg. The lathe does not have a QCGB. That is a huge negative to some people. Be sure to ask about what change gears are included. You will need those for threading. What else is included will also have an impact on value. I paid $1200 for my Craftsman 12x36 that came with a QCGB. It also came with virtually every accessary in the Craftsman catalog except for a taper attachment. Multiple chucks in different sizes from 3" to 8". Both 3 jaw and 4 jaw. And a whole lot of other misc tooling. Mine did not come with a QCTP. Just a lantern tool post and a 4 way. I made a Norman style QCTP and tool holders for my lathe. I was an absolutely clueless newbie when I got my lathe. Making the QCTP gave me lots of practice on how to use my lathe.

Keep us posted on what you find when you look at the lathe.

I will check out YouTube. Thanks for the pointer. They are asking $500 for the lathe and accessories. They aren't wanting to part with the bench it is on but that's not a big deal. I will be by myself when I go to look it over. I am bringing an engine hoist to load it up. Nearest I can tell it weights 300 pounds. Not sure how far it can be taken apart for transportation so the engine hoist is probably needed

Back