First Metal Lathe Suggestions

Caveman

Registered
Registered
So I'm ready to get a metal lathe. Most of the parts I make are small, mostly less than 12" long and rarely larger than 2" in diameter. I have been looking at all I can find on the web and it's time to ask someone some questions and get some suggestions.
I'm looking for the smallest lathe out there with the following features:
1. Quick change tool post (not the square multi tool one)
2. Automatic cross feed and length feed
3. Levers or dials to change the feed rates and spindle speeds (no gear changes), is that a gear head?
Those are my biggest wish list.
I have been looking at the Grizzly G4002 but it's a little big, I don't need a 1000 pound lathe.
What do you all suggest?

Thanks,
Jeff

I would look at something like the PM1228VF-LB. The Grizzly 1224 will be about twice the weight, I think the 1228 has more features as a starter lathe.
It has most the features you are asking and more. It is a 2 Hp variable speed motor with 2 speed ranges, the gearbox covers most common thread ranges (there may be a few change gears, this is very common in this size machine), comes with a very common chuck mount which is a D1-4 (allows to quickly change chucks and they will be much more common), the spindle bore is 1.5" (allows larger stock to pass through) and it has a MT3 tailstock. The Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) is an option on most lathes, this one takes an AXA. Lots of good features in a compact and relatively light machine. Just because you only work with 12" doesn't mean that you can get a short lathe with big lathe features. There are a number of reviews in the forum and some posted video's.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1228VF-LB.html

Last edited:
Though some 7" lathes come with a bed long enough for your needs, they'd fall short on the gear situation and on the powered cross feed. But then, even a 9" lathe like the Grizzly G4000 will lack power cross feed. If that's a "must" for you, then the PM1022 suggested by CluelssNewB is probably your best bet. The G4002 is a 12" lathe, the next step up form a 10".

I've owned a G4000 for a bunch of years and it's done well for me. My biggest complaints have been the poor mounting for the compound (LMS used to sell a worthwhile 4-bolt compound mount, but I can't find it on their site any more) and the lack of a reverse tumbler (for right/left threading). LMS sells a nice tool post adapter that lets you add an AXA size QCTP:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3712&category=
You'll have to decide if these "features" are deal killers as far as 9" lathes are concerned.

Hook 'em!

Thank you for taking some time to add links and reply. I think the PM1022V will be an excellent choice, I believe it has all my requirements. It is very similar to the grizzly g-0752 but it has power cross feed and you don't need a wrench to tighten the tailstock.
Hopefully I can get this thing ordered this week sometime. I'll post a picture when I get it in place!

Jeff

Each machine has it's unique personality.
Vintage feels very different than new.
Different manufactures produce different personalities.
If possible consider some hands on before you put your money on the counter.
QCTP can be added later for a wide range of prices. Good results can be had with an old lantern, it's just not as easy.
Same can be said for a QCGB however it gets much more expensive to add.
An old flat belt system has it's advantages.

Consider some hands on before you buy.... Reputations have value, but some are more marketing than reality.
My opinion.

Daryl
MN

The PM 1020 and 1030 have only have 3 selectable gear/feeds (A, B, C), everything else needs change gears so a lot of fiddling. You will be very limited on the chuck selection and a bit more cumbersome to change. I would feel that if you are going to spend that much on a lathe, you would be better off with something a bit more full featured liked the 1228, so you have something to grow into. Until you start using the lathe, it is hard to envision how your scope will expand once you start using it. This way, you will not be upgrading in 2-3 years, assuming you are using it. As Daryl mentioned, some hands on experience is important. There are also a number of other brands, other than QMT and Grizzly that will sell you a lathe for less, but the post sale support may be minimal or absent should you need it, and although machine may appear to be the same they are often speced very differently. SO I would do some reviews of the lathes you are interested in first to see what others experiences have been.
Mark

So here's my deal :) - I have been using a Jet 1340 for the last year or so at my local TechShop (Membership co-op). It's been great, but since it's a community tool it gets a little beat up and it's pretty big.
I really liked the PM1228 but it's $2999.00, the Grizzly G4002 has more features and it's $2795.
I agree that users experience with the tool is important. I have tried to watch videos on YouTube to get a sense of the size and features but I was hoping that someone out there had some of the lathes we are talking about and tell me how they like them. I would love to hear about someone who has a PM1020 and see how they like it. I'm curious if the 3 selectable speeds would cover most of my stuff. I mostly make small aluminum pieces. Limited threading, most facing and concentric cuts, that's why I want the powered feeds.
Once you hit about $3000.00 there is a lot available, I would love to stay closer to $2000.

Thanks everyone, keep the ideas and conversation going so I can make an informed decision.
Jeff

If you are using a Jet of that size, likely you will find that going to lighter and cheaper machines a bit of a let down. How about the used market? I bought a clone of the Jet BDB-1340A for $1500 to replace my Atlas 10F series lathe after 20 years.
Pierre

Size is a big deal, my shop is a 2 car garage and it's pretty packed and one these full size lathes would be tough. I'm used to down sizing, I went from a huge shopbot CNC to my small Camaster Stinger 1 - 2x3 CNC (totally awesome machine by the way). It works for me because my parts are small and sometimes it's tough to make small precision parts on huge machine.
I've been searching ebay and craigslist for about 6 months and nothing has come up that's close or not totally trashed. I like the idea of a new machine, I'm not buying someone else's problems. :)

Last edited:
Back