First Mill need help selecting

Cat Steel

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So let me get some history and details out there. I am a beginner in every sense. Never run a mill or lathe. I’m 70. Not retired. Cat skinner. My friend loaned me for as long as I want a 12” craftsman/atlas lathe. Just got is set and leveled. I like quality and horse power. So I would like to buy a mill and tooling and keep around 4K. I really like the PM stuff but only consider the Taiwan models. The 728V is too small and the 833v puts me over my budget. Any other good options? Or pay up. Lot to spend on a new hobby. My old hobby for the last 50 yrs has been shooting and reloading,. Still do it and have a small fortune invested as you can imagine. I will replace lathe next year, hopefully. Let me know where I’m going wrong or a better direction.

If you are willing to look around and are not in a hurry a used knee mill would be the way to go. I found a used Acura mill in good shape for two thousand. The previous owner pasted away and the family wanted it out of the garage so they could sell the house. You need to know what is in good shape or have some one check it out before you buy it because there is a lot of overpriced junk out there. Good luck hope you find a mill.

I would hold out for a knee mill. Lots of decently built BP clones out there for about half your budget.

Ok. Thanks to all. The problem is I live in Ok. There seems to be very few machines in this part of the world. Also I’m about 100 mi from a city. Only thing I can look on is Craigslist. Dont do FB.

In case you decide to check out the used machines, I remembered seeing this video on evaluating a used mill:

With a 12×36 lathe, you really want a knee mill.

If they ever took the China-tariff off, the classical knee mills will drop nearly $800.

Thanks Whooppee, I looked at one in Dallas area and sent email but it had sold. The one at Fort Smith is said to be in Fair condition. With my lack of experience and think I better pass. It’s hard 5 hr drive too.

Take your time ( I'm 68 and know it is hard at this age ) but at 4K the used options will be much better than new. At 10K new works but 4K can buy a 15K machine that is in good shape for us new machinists. Webb, Acer, Acra, Sharp, Victor, Supermax, and if you get lucky Lagun. Dave

Back