First Mill need help selecting

Take your time ( I'm 68 and know it is hard at this age ) but at 4K the used options will be much better than new. At 10K new works but 4K can buy a 15K machine that is in good shape for us new machinists. Webb, Acer, Acra, Sharp, Victor, Supermax, and if you get lucky Lagun. Dave
Thanks. Good advice. Just have to make a habit of checking Craigslist every few days. Looking at Dallas metro and KC

Those big metro areas should yield you some results. I traded for a used Jet 9x49 (Taiwan 2004) that is in pretty good condition. It came with some accessories which saved me money. I also think a knee mill is preferable if for no other reason than the increased Z travel. The mass is also desirable. Guys on this site seem to have better luck finding things than I do (NEBR.) As a Cat skinner you probable have access to lifting equipment. Figure on needing considerably more lift than what the machine weighs. Forklifts are rated @ 24" centers not including side shift, tall mast etc. and you will likely be at somewhat greater distance. My dad had an excavating co. so I got a lot of practice on yellow iron.

Yep. Ive been on a Cat dozer for 50yrs now. Running a D-6N. Have a front loader at shop lifts 5K. So good to go. Just gotta find one. This new hobby may speed up my retirement and ruin my cash flow. Ha. Thanks to all replys. I really like this forum. been lurking in the individual projects thread. So many projects.

Back