[Newbie] First mill! Uh oh its an old eklind...

Are there any markings on the rest of the machine? Could it be another brand of horizontal mill and the Eklind head was an accessory?

I have a similar collet which is actually a morse #2 taper at the fore-end.
Any way you can measure/compare your taper to a morse?
Your horizontal mill appears to be a Nichols with an interesting motor adapter.

Unless I'm missing something you're probably not going to have much rigidity with that vertical head set-up. If it was mine I'd just get a straight shank ER collet holder and call it good.

Welcome to the fourm,

John

You guys are right. Its a w.h. Nichols horizontal mill with the eklind head adapted. Seems sturdy enough. Not making anything serious just for play

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

The ER collet system is very adaptable and you can go from extra cheap to super precision depending (mostly) on the collets and nut you choose. If you bought something like the Shars unit I posted you could cut it down to fit snug against your existing collet and pretty much leave it in place while you look for a set of the 2E collets on eBay.

ER chucks are available from all major suppliers as well as Amazon, Banggood, AliExpress, etc.

John

Great idea thanks. I'm looking at straight shank er collets right now

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Ive seen those vert attachments on the nice little Sundstrand production mills too......always seemed a shame so many of the little production mills were scrapped without a second thought.

Back