First Order Retrieve-ability

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I've never heard it said that way until I saw it on an Adam Savage video today. First Order Retrieve-ability. I started along that basic path a couple years ago when I first did this shelf. 20220421_150917.jpg
This shelf is more open and less cluttered now.

Today I was watching along and he started to talk about reamers. My reamers were stored in plastic bags in bins. Over, under, fractional, and odd sizes. Most bought surplus or on Ebay. Those were in bins.....bins are bs.

I made this before I got to the part of the video on how he made his reamer holder......I went out and spent an hour on this.

20230215_194129.jpg

You might notice mine is a bit weird compared to his. For instance, the 1/8" section is 5 holes wide. That is because I have several half thou over/under reamers and .001 over/under. All the 1/16" step sizes I made 5 holes even if i don't currently have the half and .001" over/under sizes.

I keep an inventory of every size reamer I have in my phone. If I find a reamer surplus for $5 per lb or at the flea market I can tell if I need it. I will continue to watch for quality reamers in good condition and I might fill those empty spots at pennies on the dollar. I have enough room for a couple more sets on this block.

I have lots more reamers that don't need to "first order retrieveable". Odds and duplicates. Now i have dozens more reamers in easy reach with no searching through bins and baggies.

This is Adam's video.

I went with the standing drill index route too... very happy with the change! Easy to grab any of fraction, number, letter, metric, and S&D by 1/64"!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I too watch his video and going to rethink some of my storage. My drills are in one drawer which is too full, for example.
Pierre
I used bins at the beginning. It's a frustrating process to find anything.

I like to organize things just a little bit differently. For starters, I tend to collect random/surplus tooling, like inch/metric Allen wrenches and open end/box wrenches. I keep them in well labeled bin boxes (in the "use monthly" section).

That way, I can permanently keep a full set of adjustment tools at each machine tool .... so, no need to go across the shop to find that 7/16" box wrench.

As soon as I buy a new machine tool, I start out by gathering a full set of all the hand tools I might need.

I've come to detest the standup bit holders. It seems that when something goes awry, those holders get knock over/down, and then I'm spending 30 minutes crawling under tool boxes to find now dented cutting tools. In my cramped space, I much prefer box kits and closed drawers.
I've also been working hard over the past year to pair down the inventory so there isn't as much to organize. (OK. I'll say three Haas Tools, and wash my hands in the holy cutting oil.)

My tools have a very bad habit that I cant seem to break them of.
They refuse to go back into their storage containers or shelves, they just laze about on the bench tops or any other space for months on end untill I get so frustrated and force them back where they should be.
The trouble is they dont listen to me and soon laze around on the benches again.

My tools have a very bad habit that I cant seem to break them of.
They refuse to go back into their storage containers or shelves, they just laze about on the bench tops or any other space for months on end untill I get so frustrated and force them back where they should be.
The trouble is they dont listen to me and soon laze around on the benches again.
My tools seem to suffer from the same affliction. Let me know if you find a cure.

Back