First Order Retrieve-ability

According to a recent Adam Savage video I saw recently, first order retrievability also includes making things easier to find. I've done that with a drill index, by marking the storage holes of all the 1/16" multiple size drill bits with a red Sharpie. I've done the same with transfer punches, and I suppose you could also do this with number drill sets(ie, marking every 5th or 10th number).

HPIM6361.JPG

HPIM6359.JPG

Sorry .... duplicate message

Last edited:
According to a recent Adam Savage video I saw recently, first order retrievability also includes making things easier to find. I've done that with a drill index, by marking the storage holes of all the 1/16" multiple size drill bits with a red Sharpie. I've done the same with transfer punches, and I suppose you could also do this with number drill sets(ie, marking every 5th or 10th number).

View attachment 443208

View attachment 443209
That is a good idea. I might do that on my transfer punches.

I've replaced all my drill index stands with Hout drill dispensers. I scrape my fingers less trying to get little drills out. I've got sausage fingers!

I'm really glad I didn't jump on this type of storage early on. Pulling out a drawer and unlatching and lifting a lid. I really like smaller dedicated drawers and bins.

Screenshot_20230403_193706.jpg

I'm really glad I didn't jump on this type of storage early on. Pulling out a drawer and unlatching and lifting a lid. I really like smaller dedicated drawers and bins.
I have a bunch of these. I only latch them if I am going to remove the drawer (case) and take to another part of the shop with me and that does not happen often. They are all located right next to my main work-bench so it is pretty easy to reach over, pull out a drawer and get what I want. 90% of the time, I am getting a machine screw out of them. I am able to keep a large variety of screw hardware from #8 through to 3/8. They are kind of expensive but I have really liked having them a lot. I like that they are very durable metal construction. You can see them in the background of this picture.

20221108_153121.jpg

I have a bunch of these. I only latch them if I am going to remove the drawer (case) and take to another part of the shop with me and that does not happen often. They are all located right next to my main work-bench so it is pretty easy to reach over, pull out a drawer and get what I want. 90% of the time, I am getting a machine screw out of them. I am able to keep a large variety of screw hardware from #8 through to 3/8. They are kind of expensive but I have really liked having them a lot. I like that they are very durable metal construction. You can see them in the background of this picture.

View attachment 443526
To each his own. Those just don't suit me. Labeling isn't as easy and they end up very heavy.

To each his own. Those just don't suit me. Labeling isn't as easy and they end up very heavy.
this is one of the reasons that I like this forum so much. Every one here has a different way of solving similar problems (often better than my ideas :)). Having used these for a few years, I agree that when full of metal hardware they can get quite heavy but I find a rarely remove the boxes from the drawers. I also do not attempt to label the individual compartments, just the overall drawers.

Screw sensible and efficient retrievable order. You are never happy and then you move things around, again. In any case, first order is everything goes back where you got it, always and as soon as possible. If I don't, I'll never find it again without a lot of "Where did that friggin' thing go?" episodes. So, don't ask why the parallels are next to the lathe, but rest assured, I know where to get them.

Back