First Order Retrieve-ability

I had been looking for options to hang my angle grinders for a while. Now I'm moving my welder and plasma cutter into the shop and i needed and answer. I used my forstner to make holes for the side handles in my shelf. I think it worked out great and the cords can relax.

20230409_122044.jpg

First order retrieve-ability!!!

256 bin locations and 315 drawers.

Much less cobbled together. 20230524_221445.jpg

I have the bin hangers on the right wall but right now I don't have anything to hang there. Lol!

Pin gages on a shelf are easy to find, but do not qualify as first order retrievable when they are stacked. Each of the larger cases weigh 30+ lbs.

20230601_170738.jpg

I need two more sets to complete my 0.011" to 1" set. Three or more stacked up makes serious work to access them all.

I reworked my shelving and made a short shelf to raise the metal shelf up a bit for easier access.

Now I can grab any single case without unstacking anything heavy. The space is now better utilized without hindering the workbench.

Admiring your dedication to the philosophy, is putting a shelf on a shelf true first-order, or derived first order?

I really need to follow your footsteps. If your retrieval system is first order, mine has been a Lissajous pattern. Tools and things circulate all over the vertical surfaces. Seems like the only things that were placed in first order are my fire extinguishers.

Admiring your dedication to the philosophy, is putting a shelf on a shelf true first-order, or derived first order?

I really need to follow your footsteps. If your retrieval system is first order, mine has been a Lissajous pattern. Tools and things circulate all over the vertical surfaces. Seems like the only things that were placed in first order are my fire extinguishers.
I'm old enough that bending over that far is a chore. I had the lower wood shelf already and the metal shelf was already as you see it. It just needed risers so my back could have a slight break.

First order retrieve-ability is the final position of the tools over the shelf construction itself.

I've got a cobalt and silicone disc in my lower back. I loathe bending. Below the bench is for long-term storage. If my wife wants to hide something from me in the kitchen, all she has to do is put it under the counter anywhere but the silverware drawer. Low space is a blind spot to me, and certainly a resource to be tapped, as you've proven.

I've got a cobalt and silicone disc in my lower back. I loathe bending. Below the bench is for long-term storage. If my wife wants to hide something from me in the kitchen, all she has to do is put it under the counter anywhere but the silverware drawer. Low space is a blind spot to me, and certainly a resource to be tapped, as you've proven.
If I was in your situation I would definitively not consider my new storage as a good idea. Those cases are still heavy. My electronic controlled rotary table is on a bottom shelf and it is extremely heavy. I still don't know what to do about that situation.

I had to put taller legs on the lower shelf so I don't have to bend over as much. Lol.

The gauge pin rack might be a good one to try putting drawer pulls on. It could live a little bit deeper under the bench, but still pull out to be easy to read the sizes on and reach for.

The gauge pin rack might be a good one to try putting drawer pulls on. It could live a little bit deeper under the bench, but still pull out to be easy to read the sizes on and reach for.
I am glad they put handles on these cases. I'm hoping to order the next set next pay if I can swing it.

20230602_153340.jpg

Back