First Post, First Machine.

Rudy_R

Registered
Registered
I've been in woodworking for a while, but haven't done much metal machining. I restore stuff, and build stuff, so I thought a metal lathe would be a useful tool. I'm in no hurry to have a working machine, and a small budget takes priority over not spending countless hours working on something to get it going, and I enjoy the work.

Anyway, I picked up a Bardons & Oliver #2 Geared Electric Turret Lathe for 250 Canuck dollars. Was it a good deal? I don't really know, but it was cheaper than anything else I've seen for sale in my area. I know some folks may say that an old turret isn't the machine to start on, and it doesn't have a threading attachment. Well, yeah, that's true. In reality, it's only really gonna do a bit of making some smaller shafts, pins and bushings.

The good: Everything that's there, works. Came with a bunch of collets for the chuck, and a bunch of tool holders for the turret, just no parts that hold the tool holders.

The bad: PO pressed the rotor off the motor shaft and scrapped it. This was easily THE biggest strike against this machine. Putting another motor on and getting it running isn't a big problem for me, as we have a motor shop at work, and we sell motors and controls. The problem is that whatever I can get my hands on, won't be like the original since they stopped making 225 frame motors decades ago.

Anyone with information on these, other than what is available on B&O's site, would be great. I would like to add a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to it eventually, and I'd like to get some stuff set up in the turret. All this stuff may be a year or three down the road.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi Rudy,

Welcome to the site!

Nice machine.... I think you got a great deal!
Any idea the age?
I am glad you got the collets, those can be expensive to add later.
It sounds like a motor swap is definitely the way to go. Hopefully you can figure out the mounting without too much trouble.

A Bardons and Oliver page does NOT seem to exist at http://lathes.co.uk/

However, Vintage Machinery has some info:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2302&tab=3

Having any lathe will add capability to your shop to increase what jobs you can do.

What is the spindle nose size; diameter and thread?
You could make a new backing plate for any chuck you can find.

Good luck, and please post with any updates.......even if it is a three year project!

-brino

Cool!!
Another turret lathe on the HM site!!
There are alot of experienced users here at HM.
Me and my Gisholt #5 are still a turret NOOB.

At this last auction I picked up a bunch of Gisholt Turret Tool holders (many several hundred pounds).
Still need to sort through them.
In the lot are several dozen very large BO turret collets which I cannot use. I'll eventually get them posted in the classifieds here or on Ebay.
If you are interested I'll step up the posting here.

Daryl
MN

I don't think the spindle has a thread. I took the collet cover off (it's how you change the collets) and there's only a flange where you could bolt something on.

The collets only say "2 B&O". So, if the ones you got at the auction say the same, they may fit.

Attached a picture of all the collets I got, and the turret tool holders.

20160810_203341.jpg

20160810_203626.jpg

20160810_204053.jpg

That's a A series spindle nose. Same taper as the D-1 series has but no holes for the camlock pins. If I had to guess, that is a A-1 6" nose, has both inner and outer bolt holes. There are chucks available out there, new and used, jst have to find them and they are pricy. The easiest way to mount a chuck is to get a blank D-1 back plate, remove the camlock pins and match drill holes to the bolt pattern on the spindle nose. Bolt onto the spindle nose with socket head cap screws counterbored in to chuck adapter. Then machine the chuck adapter to fit a chuck. Remove the chuck adapter, drill holes to mount it to the chuck. You will have to use a chuck with a sizeable diameter big enough to clear the spindle nose and get the screws installed. And it looks like that could be a problem if not planned carefully. That inner set of holes on the spindle nose is usually used for mounting three jaw chucks on. The outer set is for 4-jaw chucks and other fixtures that may get mounted. Ken

I dug out the collets I've got.
Mixed bag of B&O and Hardinge.
All are sized B&O#5. Huge!!
Perhaps a couple dozen.

Daryl
MN

Hi Rudy:
I picked up a Bardons & Oliver #2 Geared Electric Turret Lathe for 250 Canuck dollars. Was it a good deal?

fwiw there was an offshore turret lathe for sale in Kitch for three times what you paid.
imho you got a machine three times more valuable.
btw, welcome to THM!
lk

I picked it up just outside Port Stanley. Checked it out when we were camping down that way, and picked it up a few days later. I really have no place for it yet (shop floor still needs to be poured) so it still sits on the trailer. Thought it was too good a deal to let it go by. Sometimes you can't afford NOT to pick something up..... at least that's how I justify it to the wife. She knows I turn over every penny a few times before I spend it and make sure I'm not on the losing end of a deal.

As for that backplate, it was more of an example so I know what I'm keeping my eyes open for, based on what 4gsr said. I'll be going to the Steam Era show in Milton on labour day weekend. You never know what you'll find in the treasure troves of people's junk there. Last year I got a 120 year old cider press that I used for 200 litres of cider. Mmmmm!

Back