First Post, First Machine.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252500595871?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

I'd imagine that I would just throw this in the 1" collet and call it good. Seems a cheap enough price. I don't mind some elbow grease. I know you can't have stuff go through the spindle with this on, but I'm pretty sure I'd be using a collet for stuff that I'm cutting off of rod.

Steam show is this weekend, so not gonna buy anything at all until after that.

Steam Era show was good. There was lots of junk, er, I mean good stuff there to search through. I found a nice Stanley #6 hand plane for $40, some random cutting tools for $15, and a big cider press for $45. There was a guy that had a 4" 3 jaw chuck, but he wanted $125 for it, and the back plate had a taper on it. I could have built a new backplate, but would like something bigger than a 4" if I'm gonna spend that. Still considering the one on Evilbay.

Last edited:
I found an A2-6 mounting plate and a 10" 4 jaw for a reasonable price to bring it into the frozen north. My brother will pick it up at his box in Buffalo. :) Project has been on the back burner for a bit, and will continue to be until I have a motor lined up. Have it tucked nicely in the corner at work in the nice heated shop. If nobody complains about it, will just leave it there until spring when my floor is poured at home (hopefully). I have no idea how I will get it off the trailer at home, but I still have a few months to figure that out.

nice old machine, when I was 19 I operated a B&O in a small shop in Riverside CA, a long time ago and far far away

If you look at the picture of mine above I bolted 4x4s to the bottom when they loaded it with the crane where I picked it up. Once I backed up to the garage I let the air out of the trailer tires and jacked the front up enough to get the trailer deck to sit on the concrete. Jack the lathe up with a floor jack, put pipes under it and let gravity do the work while I cranked it down with a come-along. Not easy work, but I unloaded it all alone although it took all day and wiped me out. Once it was on the concrete, moving it around was a completely different story.

Be creative, you can do it.

I may see if I can lure my neighbor with beer to come help me with his backhoe! It moves around with a pallet jack pretty easy after its on the ground.

Did some more figuring today. Took the gear case cover off to have a look. Will probably be easier than I thought to put a new motor on. I think I'm giving up on an old motor now. We have a new 3hp 3 phase on the shelf at work that had the fan shroud damaged in shipping, so can't really sell it without buying new parts. I can likely get it for a really decent price. It's a D flange mount, so I can just make an adapter plate for it and hope the motor gear will fit without too much machining at the machine shop next door. Motor shafts are the same diameter.

If anyone has any better and easier ideas for putting that gear on there, speak up!

Pictures:

IMG_20170104_171852426.jpg

IMG_20170104_171936007.jpg

IMG_20170104_171915935.jpg

IMG_20170104_171900988.jpg

The end of that motor shaft appears to be threaded so you may have to deal with that if the new motor shaft isn't.

If the keyway is a different size that's not too bad to work around.

Those gears look to be in good shape. When I had mine apart I got all the old oil out and scraped the crud off the bottom. Might as well while you're in there. It's hard to buy a 5 gallon pail of oil ($100±) and dump it all in one cavity you'll likely never see again. Good insurance though.

Yes, it's threaded with a kind of star washer that has an internal finger that fits in the shaft keyway (motor shop guys at work can be helpful sometimes). I also believe there to be a bearing and oil seal in behind that gear. Maybe just a seal, will find out later. It was also suggested that possibly there would be a snap ring too. More likely on the motor end of things.

As I'm taking this apart on my coffee breaks, I can't get much done at once. Have to look after the kids after work, so can't stay late after like I used to.

The gears are in fantastic shape!! No broken teeth, not even much wear! The oil will get changed, though I doubt it will hold 5 gallons. There's a few other oils to change yet too.

Back