First Project for my Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
The wildfire took a toll on my home and tools.
I’m thinking these 2x4x6 blocks would be a good project to learn how to use the machine while shooting to square these blocks.

7BF09E36-D89C-41BE-AE7A-E04D924DA07B.jpeg

DDC2E406-7BF0-4F2C-AD0A-1C079490A9DC.jpeg

I made blocks similar to yours 40 years ago and still use them today . Not so much for grinding anymore but for mill set-ups . ( and mine were ground on a 6-18 B&S also) ! :encourage: Looking good .

LOL . Just found this post . I actually have the same 618 B&S grinder as above again after 30+ years . :) How you making out with yours ?

Glad you asked, it's sitting in a shop where I purchased it. The plan is to pick it up with the shaper in June.
I am a bit concerned about the noise of the 618. When the fluid is cold they do tend to whine quite a bit.
My new home/shop is in a subdivision. This is new to my wife and I.
Let you know later this year.

Glad to hear you are getting back on your feet!

I've been in a subdivision for over 10yrs now. This area is very quiet. I'm the only metal worker with 4-5 woodworkers scattered around me. The logical understanding is no loud noises before 8am or after sundown. Works totally for me because I more or less live like a farmer up with the sun and go to bed early. I have never had anybody complain and believe me if I was as stupid as my neighbor they would. She's had the cops called on her for her concert volume stereo many times. Which for the record was way louder than my grinders or the guys saw's. The last time I decided it was time for me to get the old chainsaw out and do some work right next to her side of the house. Did the trick and the saw did what the cops couldn't do. I think you'll find machine tools during daylight hours make way less noise than law mowers, leaf blowers, wood saw's or nutbars with a stereo. I also know all my neighbors just because their friendly and they like that I'm out in my garage working every day keeping an eye out when they can't.

Had a neighbor, when I lived in a subdivision, that used to like to throw outdoor parties into the wee hours of the morning. I bought an old lawnmower, filled it with gas, checked the oil and staked it in place between the houses. Started it when I left for work in the morning, which was about 2 hours after the party ended. He seemed to get the message

Back